Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on the nature of spacetime

1. Jul 4, 2007 #1
    maybe somebody out there has some thoughts on this...

is it maybe possible that some mechanism is in place such that the fabric of spacetime, reduced to 'cells' of dimensions in keeping with Planck length, is itself expanding? such an effect would lead to each 'cell' being capable of being either occupied or not occupied by a quantum particle while at the same time the cells themselves expand. This would lead to ever greater distances between objects on cosmic scales, but locally adjacent cells stay adjacent. I'm aware that the scale of everything enlarging in unison would lead to the same observations from any single point, but not if what was important for measurements was the number of cells travelled by information (e.g light), not the distance through expanding cells. This is as far as I can reason through with this line of thinking in an attempt to maybe understand the nature of dark energy, leading to cosmic 'repulsion' and dark matter, an apparent excess of gravity. Could anybody lead me towards a better reasoning of this, or is it way of the mark of current possibilities for an explanation of these, and other (wave/particle duality) phenomena?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2012 #2
    I think you are on the right track. Here are my two pennies.

1. Gravity/Space/Time mechanics are tied.

2. I do not believe that spacetime is a fabric or property of the universe itself.

3. Particles both produce and absorb space. The rate of production and/or abortion is affected by its velocity and by its closeness to other particles.

4. Time is the speed at which each individual particle executes its innate physical functions.

5. Gravity is when the net abortion of space is greater than the production in an area.

6. Dark matter/dark energy is when the net production of space is greater that its abortion at large ares. The surplus space created by a galaxy extends out from the galaxy and pushes other galaxies away and possibly compresses the galaxy itself.

4. Feb 8, 2012 #3
    I have never heard anything like this.

Dark matter is likely to be particles that were created during the big bang that simply don't interact through the electromagnetic force. There are a number of possible candidate particles but nothing conclusive.

Dark energy is anyone's guess really.

OP
    I'm not sure that follows. If space is made of cells, and the cells are expanding but the only thing that matters for measurements is the number of cells crossed then how does that effect the measurement of the distance of celestial objects?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?