Question regarding inverse functions

1. f(x) where x belongs to all real numbers
    inverse: f-1(x), where x belongs to all real numbers

True or False:
    The inverse of f(x+3) is f-1(x+3)

My ideas:
    I think that it is false given that when you usually find the inverse of a function, you switch the x and y variables and solve for y again meaning that the inverse couldn't stay the same.
    I figured since the domain and range of f(x) belong to all real numbers, possibly f(x) = x and then inputting f(x+3) = x+ 3
    then y = x+3
    then y = x - 3 but im not really sure if thats right :s

2. jcsd
  3. LCKurtz

LCKurtz 8,273
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are given that ##f## has an inverse ##f^{-1}##. What happens when you solve the equation ##y=f(x+3)## for ##x##?

4. Good Day michellemich!

If you are not sure of your answer, try some composition: let your original function be f(x)and your questionable inverse function be g(x)

Evaluate (f of g) and (g of f). If they undo each other, they are inverses.

5. HallsofIvy

HallsofIvy 40,307
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you want to know if this is true for all invertible functions, it is simple enough to find a counterexample.

If, say, f(x)= 2x+ 3, then [itex]f(x)= 3x- 2[/itex], then [itex]f^{-1}(x)= (x+ 2)/3[/itex]. f(x+3)= 3(x+ 3)- 2= 3x+ 7. The inverse of that function is [itex](x- 7)/3[/itex]. Is that equal to [itex]f^{-1}(x+ 3)= (x+3+ 2)/3= (x+ 5)/3[/itex]?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted