Question regarding Sun's Rays

• Thread starter SiriusA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rays
In summary, Archimedes attempted to calculate the radius of Earth, but his method was based on the tilt of the planet's axis. At 43 degrees north in latitude, rays from the Sun never fall on Syracuse at 90 degrees. Eratosthenes, over a thousand years earlier, had already calculated the Earth's diameter.
SiriusA
Well I just took a introductory course in physics at Udacity.com a while back . In that , I learned about Archimedes attempt at calculating the radius of Earth . According to that , at a place near Syracuse , Greek , the sun rays fall at 90 degrees on the summer solstice . Just wanted if you guys could confirm that fact , because that is the basis for an idea of mine .

Physics news on Phys.org
The tilt of the Earth is only 23.5 degrees. At 43 degrees north in latitude, rays from the Sun never fall on Syracuse at 90 degrees.

Likes 1 person
Yeah jtbell , you are 100 % correct , sorry for my "weak" memory though I am only 14 :) . I was just about to correct that :
"A Greek named Erasthothanes noticed this phenomenon in 250 BCE at Aswan, Egypt. He’d previously measured the length of his small solstice shadow in Alexandria, and he used those data points—the length of his shadow at Alexandria, the length (0) of his shadow at Aswan, and the distance between the two—to calculate both the diameter of the Earth and the tilt of the planet’s axis."

Watch the original Cosmos series and Sagan talks about that experiment by Erasthothanes. I *think* it was in the first episode, but I could be mistaken.

SiriusA said:
Yeah jtbell , you are 100 % correct , sorry for my "weak" memory though I am only 14 :) . I was just about to correct that :
"A Greek named Erasthothanes noticed this phenomenon in 250 BCE at Aswan, Egypt. He’d previously measured the length of his small solstice shadow in Alexandria, and he used those data points—the length of his shadow at Alexandria, the length (0) of his shadow at Aswan, and the distance between the two—to calculate both the diameter of the Earth and the tilt of the planet’s axis."

Yeah, you need to realize that some of us were there at the time. :)

By the way, many of us learned in elementary school, and I am sure it is still taught, that Christopher Columbus, unlike everyone else at the time, believed that the Earth was round, not flat, and that you could reach the orient by traveling west.

In fact, Eratosthenes, over a thousand years earlier, not only knew that the Earth was round but had calculated its diameter! Where Columbus differed from most people was that he was a member of a small group of people who believed that Eratosthenes' result was too large- on purely "stylistic" reasons. They just didn't believe that the Earth was almost all land (Europe, Asia, Africa) on one side and empty ocean on the other! Of course, they, and Columbus, were wrong.

It is worth while remembering, when considering how 'wrong' they were in the fairly distant past, that there are still many people who believe that the Earth is only four thousand years old DESPITE the vast amount of contrary evidence.

1. What are the different types of rays emitted by the Sun?

The Sun emits three main types of rays: visible light, infrared radiation, and ultraviolet radiation. Visible light is what we can see with our eyes, and makes up most of the Sun's energy. Infrared radiation is felt as heat, and ultraviolet radiation is responsible for causing sunburns.

2. How do the Sun's rays reach Earth?

The Sun's rays reach Earth through a process called radiation. The Sun's energy is transferred through space in the form of electromagnetic waves. These waves travel through the vacuum of space and reach Earth, where they are absorbed by the Earth's atmosphere and surface.

3. Are all of the Sun's rays harmful to humans?

No, not all of the Sun's rays are harmful to humans. In fact, visible light is essential for our vision and overall health. However, prolonged exposure to ultraviolet radiation can be harmful and cause skin damage. This is why it is important to protect ourselves from the Sun's UV rays by wearing sunscreen and limiting our time in direct sunlight.

4. Can the Sun's rays affect the Earth's climate?

Yes, the Sun's rays can have a significant impact on the Earth's climate. Changes in the amount of solar radiation reaching Earth can affect the Earth's temperature, weather patterns, and ocean currents. This is one of the factors that contribute to climate change.

5. How does the Earth's atmosphere protect us from the Sun's rays?

The Earth's atmosphere acts as a shield, protecting us from the Sun's harmful rays. The ozone layer, located in the stratosphere, absorbs most of the Sun's ultraviolet radiation. The Earth's atmosphere also helps to regulate the amount of solar radiation that reaches the Earth's surface, making our planet habitable for life.