Question to aid my science fair research

• Thread starter oooo
  • Start date
I am doing a science fair project in which I am trying to find the relationship between skid distance and cone length. In class we used paper cones which were lined up at the bottom of a ramp (as seen in the attached image) and a marble was released. The marble then, after rolling, entered the paper cone and skid distance of the cone was recorded. So, for science fair, I made different length cones between 10 and 30 cm and through my data I saw a direct relationship between the length of the cone and the skid distance. My only question is why does this occur? I need some ideas as to where to start my research, if anyone knows and could help. THANKS!

Attachments

• skid distance.gif
    skid distance.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 394

Answers and Replies

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Is the weight of the paper cone significant when compared to the weight of the marble?

- Warren

I believe that the mass of the cone is less than the mass of the marble, though I have not weighed them. Would that be a good thing to do?

However, I do not want to introduce too many variables. I am mainly focused on the length of the paper cone as opposed to its mass.

Last edited:
chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You're asking why the effect occurs, aren't you? The mass of cone is certainly relevant; the marble has to accelerate the mass of the cone, and the mass of the cone contributes to greater friction across the table.

- Warren

thank you!