1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question to aid my science fair research

1. May 17, 2006 #1
    I am doing a science fair project in which I am trying to find the relationship between skid distance and cone length. In class we used paper cones which were lined up at the bottom of a ramp (as seen in the attached image) and a marble was released. The marble then, after rolling, entered the paper cone and skid distance of the cone was recorded. So, for science fair, I made different length cones between 10 and 30 cm and through my data I saw a direct relationship between the length of the cone and the skid distance. My only question is why does this occur? I need some ideas as to where to start my research, if anyone knows and could help. THANKS!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is the weight of the paper cone significant when compared to the weight of the marble?

- Warren

4. May 17, 2006 #3
    I believe that the mass of the cone is less than the mass of the marble, though I have not weighed them. Would that be a good thing to do?

However, I do not want to introduce too many variables. I am mainly focused on the length of the paper cone as opposed to its mass.

Last edited: May 17, 2006
  5. May 17, 2006 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're asking why the effect occurs, aren't you? The mass of cone is certainly relevant; the marble has to accelerate the mass of the cone, and the mass of the cone contributes to greater friction across the table.

- Warren

6. May 17, 2006 #5
    thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?