Figuring out relationships with graphs

In summary, according to the data provided, the relationship between skid distance and cone length is an inverse function. The decrease in skid distance is rather rapid, seemingly due to the increase in kinetic friction.
oooo
Ok, so as part of a lab, I had to make an excel graph of the relationship between skid distance and cone length (if you want to know more, look at my post below about science fair which was posted yesterday at 6:25 pm). Anyways, I made the graph and I can't tell the relationship between the two variables. I am just a freshman with little math behind me, so I can't quite determine the relationship just by looking at it. Please give me soem tips on determining the relationship as shown on my graph. (I tried to attach it, but the site said it was invalid, so I can't)
Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you describe it? Or perhaps you could sopy it into an image editing program and attached it as an image?

~H

ok, I uploaded it...can we just say it is an inverse relationship?

Attachments

• graph.bmp
    53.3 KB · Views: 507
Last edited:
Well, I'll let you start. Does skid distance increase or decrease with increasing cone length?

~H

it decreases in this portion of the graph

so wouldn't it just be an inverse relationship because as cone length increases, skid distance decreases?

oooo said:
so wouldn't it just be an inverse relationship because as cone length increases, skid distance decreases?

Almost but the curve isn't a straight line is it? What kind of curve does it look like?

~H

its exponential. what does that mean about skid distance and cone length?
I knew it didn't look like an inverse function, but in theory shouldn't it have been?

Yeah, there aren't enough data points to confirm, it could either be an inverse square relationship or an exponential decay. I'm gona go and have a look at your other thread now to see what you were actually invesitgating.

~H

ok, i appreciate it

From what you have said and the diagram you have supplied, I would have expected that cone length to be independant of skid length. I would therefore have expected to obtain a horizontal line. Interesting...hmmm

~H

my data:

10 cm cone: skid distance= 38.9 cm
15 cm cone: skid distance= 22 cm
20 cm cone: s.d.= 12.5 cm
25 cm cone: s.d.= 10 cm
30 cm cone: s.d. = 9.2 cm

Now, I know that friction is independent of surface area because the reduction of pressure with increased skid distance offsets the increase in friction. But, each cone does have a different mass, and so does the decreasing pressure not completely offset the friction between these trials?

oooo said:
my data:

10 cm cone: skid distance= 38.9 cm
15 cm cone: skid distance= 22 cm
20 cm cone: s.d.= 12.5 cm
25 cm cone: s.d.= 10 cm
30 cm cone: s.d. = 9.2 cm

Now, I know that friction is independent of surface area because the reduction of pressure with increased skid distance offsets the increase in friction. But, each cone does have a different mass, and so does the decreasing pressure not completely offset the friction between these trials?

Ahh, I forgot you are taking mass into account. Yes, this may explain it, however, the decrease seem rather rapid. Have you calculated the changes in kinetic friction with respect to mass?

~H

these cones are made of paper, so is the difference between the masses of the cones negligible?

oooo said:
these cones are made of paper, so is the difference between the masses of the cones negligible?

That's what I was thinking when I said the decrease seems rather rapid. I think its best to wait and see if anyone else has any ideas, cos I'm fresh out :confused:

~H

ok, thanks so much for all your help!

1. How can graphing help in understanding relationships?

Graphs can visually represent data and patterns, making it easier to identify relationships between variables. By plotting data points on a graph, we can see how changes in one variable affect another, and whether there is a correlation or causation between them.

2. What types of relationships can be shown with graphs?

Graphs can show various types of relationships, such as linear, exponential, logarithmic, or quadratic. They can also depict positive, negative, or no correlation between variables.

3. How do you determine the strength of a relationship from a graph?

The strength of a relationship can be determined by looking at the slope of the line on a graph. A steeper slope indicates a stronger relationship, while a flatter slope indicates a weaker relationship. Additionally, the value of the correlation coefficient can also indicate the strength of a relationship.

4. Can graphs help predict future relationships?

Yes, graphs can be used to make predictions about future relationships. By analyzing the trend and pattern of the data shown on a graph, we can make reasonable predictions about how the relationship between variables will continue in the future.

5. What are some common mistakes when interpreting relationships from graphs?

Some common mistakes when interpreting relationships from graphs include assuming correlation means causation, not considering other factors that may influence the relationship, and misinterpreting the scale or units on the graph. It is important to carefully analyze the data and consider all possible factors before drawing conclusions.