Questioning an assumption in calculus of variations

In summary, when deriving stationary points of a function defined by a 1-D integral, there is an assumption that a function exists without proof, but once the derivation is completed, it is clear that a function satisfying the Euler-Lagrange equation will be a stationary function. The existence of this function can be proven using functional analysis, but it is a complex problem that depends on the assumptions of the space of functions and the properties of the functional being minimized.
hideelo
When deriving stationary points of a function defined by a 1-D integral (think lagranian mechanics, Fermat's priniciple, geodesics, etc) and arriving at the Euler Lagrange equation, there seems to me to be an unjustified assumption in the derivation. The derivations I have seen start with something along the following lines: assume some function x(t) is the function we are looking for, let x'(t) = x(t) + η(t) be a nearby path... The derivation will then go on to show the conditions for the original function x(t), namely that the function satisfy the Euler Lagrange equation.

It seems a little odd that we assume, without proof, that this function exists and then sort out its properties. How do we know such a function exists? Does it always exist? Are there conditions on this? Isn't it a little shady to be discussing properties of something if we haven't proved yet that it exists?

On the other hand, once we complete the derivation, it seems clear to me that a function which satisfies the Euler Lagrange equation will be a stationary function. I think.

I'm still left feeling uncomfortable however about this. Is there some outside proof which shows that this function must exist?

I shoud give the caveat that I have only seen this derivation in physics books, I don't own any math books on calculus of variations

Physics news on Phys.org
Functions that represent reasonable things in physics are real and have reasonable mathematical properties (continuous, derivatives exist, etc.)

Dr. Courtney said:
Functions that represent reasonable things in physics are real and have reasonable mathematical properties (continuous, derivatives exist, etc.)

I understand that, but we are asking for something more here, the existence of some extreme values. In calculus on R we can say that on compact subsets of R, the extreme values exist. I don't know what the analogy would be here when I am not looking at R, but some subset of all continuous functions.

I think I am looking for some topology on the space of functions and hope to see some compact set or something. Maybe there an easier way, I don't know.

hideelo said:
It seems a little odd that we assume, without proof, that this function exists and then sort out its properties. How do we know such a function exists? Does it always exist? Are there conditions on this? Isn't it a little shady to be discussing properties of something if we haven't proved yet that it exists?

The minimal function certainly does not always exist mathematically. I haven't done this type of analysis for a long time but couldn't you just take say [itex] C^1([0,1]) [/itex] as your space of functions with an action functional given by [itex] S(f)=\int_{0}^1 f(x) dx [/itex]? Surely this can't have a local min/max because you could always just remove a tiny portion of the original function and glue in a Gaussian of the appropriate size in a continuous way to make the integral a tiny bit bigger/smaller than any proposed min/max function.

What it is saying is simply that if the minimizer does exist, then it must satisfy these equations. So we can replace the problem of finding a minimizer with the problem of solving a differential equation which is usually more tractable. Of course not every differential equation has a solution so the nonexistence of a minimizer will manifest itself in the nonexistence of a solution to the differential equation. In the example I gave above, the Euler lagrange equations simply become 1=0 so no solution to the Euler Lagrange equation exist as expected.
hideelo said:
I think I am looking for some topology on the space of functions and hope to see some compact set or something. Maybe there an easier way, I don't know.

If you want to know the conditions about when the existence of a minimizer is guaranteed, generally you will need to use some functional analysis (although in the one dimensional case things may be much simpler, I don't really know) and it is much more complicated than a simple compactness argument. For example, I remember a theorem from a PDE course that stated if you take a reflexive Banach space B (which is some space of functions for calculus of variations applications) with a subset [itex] A \subseteq B [/itex] which is weakly closed in [itex] B [/itex] and if [itex] S:A\to \mathbb{R} [/itex] is a coercive, weakly lower semicontinuous functional then it is bounded below and achieves it's minimum in [itex] A [/itex]. I'm not sure why I remember this theorem since I don't even remember the precise definitions of the conditions anymore but in any case, the existence of the minimum is a hard problem to solve and and the answer depends quite a bit on the assumptions on your space of functions and on the properties of the functional you are trying to minimize.

Last edited:
What Terandol said. The thing is that the Euler-Lagrange equations are a necessary condition. If you look closely, what the theorem actually says, is that if the minimizer exists, then it has to satisfy the E-L equations.

1. What does it mean to question an assumption in calculus of variations?

Questioning an assumption in calculus of variations means to critically examine the assumptions made in a particular problem or scenario and determine whether they are valid and/or necessary for finding a solution.

2. Why is it important to question assumptions in calculus of variations?

Questioning assumptions in calculus of variations is important because it ensures that the solutions obtained are accurate and applicable in real-world situations. It also helps in identifying any potential errors or limitations in the assumptions made.

3. How do you identify assumptions in calculus of variations?

Assumptions in calculus of variations are usually stated explicitly in the problem or scenario. They may also be implied or hidden within the mathematical equations used to solve the problem. It is important to carefully read and analyze the problem to identify all relevant assumptions.

4. Can assumptions in calculus of variations be changed or eliminated?

Yes, assumptions in calculus of variations can be changed or eliminated if they are found to be unnecessary or invalid. This can lead to a different solution or approach to the problem, but it is important to carefully consider the implications of changing or eliminating an assumption.

5. Are there any risks associated with questioning assumptions in calculus of variations?

Yes, there are some risks associated with questioning assumptions in calculus of variations. Changing or eliminating an assumption may lead to a different solution that is not applicable in real-world situations. It is important to carefully evaluate the potential consequences before making any changes to assumptions.