1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about linear independent and spanning set and basi

Tags:
  1. Jan 5, 2016 #1
    • Member warned about posting with no effort shown
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Definition of spanning set:
    Let be vectors in the vector space . The set of all linear combination of the vectors is a subspace ( say ) of . The subspace is called the space spanned by the vectors The set is called a spanning set of .

Definition of linear independence:
    Suppose that is a vector space. The set of vectors from is linearly dependent if there is a relation oflinear dependence on that is not trivial. In the case where the only relation of linear dependence on is the trivial one, then is a linearly independent set of vectors.

Definition of basis of vector space:
    1. It spans the space.
    2. Its vectors are independent.
    3. The number of vectors in the basis is equal to the dimension of the space.

True or false? Given reason

1. A set of 5 Vectors in R5 must be a basis for R5
    2. A set of 6 Vectors in R5 cannot be a basis for R5
    3. A set of 7 vectors in R5 must be a spanning set for R5
    4. A set of 6 polynomials in R5 must be a basis for R5
    5. A set of 6 polynomials in R5 may be a basis for R5

Anyone help me to explain these question.. I want to know the reason cz it's confused me a lot and i always get mess about these kind of question
    appericated it!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2016 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I assume that what you wrote under "Relevant equations" is actually the "The problem statement", and that R5 stand for ##\mathbb R^5##.

For starters, maybe you could define the used concepts: basis and spanning set.

4. Jan 5, 2016 #3
    Thanks. I just edited the form of the question and now it should be ok..btw, Can u help me to this question?

5. Jan 5, 2016 #4

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks.

The forum rules expect you to show some effort in solving the exercise, before other forum members jump in to help.
    That's why I suggested you at least start with defining what a basis is, and what a spanning set is.

6. Jan 5, 2016 #5
    Thanks for reminding. This is my first time to ask question here so sorry about that.

7. Jan 5, 2016 #6

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(I added the bold blue)
    Using that third point, can you answer some of the questions?

8. Jan 5, 2016 #7
    I can answer question 2 the reason is any set of 6 vectors in R5 is linearly dependent, even though some sets of 6 vectors in R5 span R5. To be a basis it must be a linearly independent spanning set, so if it's linearly dependent, it cannot be a basis.
    But actually I know the answer for all of these questions but i don't the reason apart from question2

9. Jan 5, 2016 #8

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok. What about questions 4 and 5?

10. Jan 5, 2016 #9
    No i don't know how to explain question 1 3 4 5.

11. Jan 5, 2016 #10

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let's take 4 as an example:
    "4. A set of 6 polynomials in R5 must be a basis for R5"

Can a set of 6 polynomials be a basis for ##\mathbb R^5##? The answer can be found using the definitions you posted.

12. Jan 5, 2016 #11
    Thanks for helping. Here is too late now so I have to sleep. I am gonna do these question tomorrow.
    Appericated for helping!!

13. Jan 5, 2016 #12

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Noted...

14. Jan 7, 2016 #13
    Hi guys. I hv done these question already. Thanks for helping!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted