A set of 6 vectors in R5 cannot be a basis for R5, true or false?

  • Thread starter Thread starter NewtonianAlch
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Basis Set Vectors
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 9K views
NewtonianAlch
Messages
453
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A set of 6 vectors in R5 cannot be a basis for R5, true or false?

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm thinking true, because any set of 6 vectors in R5 is linearly dependent, even though some sets of 6 vectors in R5 span R5.

To be a basis it must be a linearly independent spanning set, so if it's linearly dependent, it cannot be a basis.
Am I correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
NewtonianAlch said:

Homework Statement


A set of 6 vectors in R5 cannot be a basis for R5, true or false?

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm thinking true, because any set of 6 vectors in R5 is linearly dependent, even though some sets of 6 vectors in R5 span R5.

To be a basis it must be a linearly independent spanning set, so if it's linearly dependent, it cannot be a basis.
Am I correct?

Yes.
 
A "basis" for a finite dimensional vector space has three properties:
1. It spans the space.
2. Its vectors are independent.
3. The number of vectors in the basis is equal to the dimension of the space.

And, if any two of these are true, so is the third.