Questions about matter/antimatter collisions

• Thread starter economancer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collisions
In summary, the destruction of antimatter and matter particles happens when they meet each other. This happens because the particles satisfy all the conservation laws.
economancer
These may seem like silly questions, but seeing as I'm not a physics major (I teach myself about what interests me in any subject really), I could use some clarification on the issue.

Does an anti-particle annihilate only when it meets its "regular matter" particle counterpart, or will the destruction occur when any antimatter particle meets any matter particle? Further, what is the cause of/mechanism for this annihilation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Every particle is indistinguishable from other particles of the same type. One electron is exactly the same as another electron in the same states. As such, an antimatter particle will annihilate with anything that is it's anti-particle. Positrons will annihilate with any electron. Many times an particle doesn't even have a corresponding antiparticle when it is created.

Economancer

well, let's start with the easier part your question. A true elementary particle will 'annihilate' with its antiparticle in the sense particle plus antiparticle goes to pure em radiation (ie gamma rays) BUT with two important caveats

Firstly most particles are not elementary so for instance a proton is more complex since it is made of 3 quarks so it can do a whole lot more than just produce pure em radiation.

Secondly give a particle (or antiparticle) enough energy and it can interact in any way that satisfies all the conservation laws (charge, spin etc etc)

Now for the second part of the question – Why do elementary antiparticles and particles annihilate?

This can be answered at all levels of complexity but my favourite is a quote from the late great Richard Feynman “anything which can happen will happen”.

So they annihilate because they can ! (ie they satisfy all the conservation laws)

A more sophisticated argument would talk about the probability of the annihilation in terms of the 'volume' the phase space for the products of the event but without a whole truck load of quantum field theory that's as far as we can go.

Hope this helps

Regards

Sam

So its more complicated than simply antimatter *will* annihilate with matter. I'm reading a book (Antimatter by Frank Close) and either I missed it, haven't gotten there yet, or it just doesn't go into that kind of detail. Thanks, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions eventually.

1. What is matter/antimatter collision?

Matter/antimatter collision is a process in which particles of matter and antimatter collide, resulting in their annihilation and the production of energy in the form of gamma rays.

2. Why is matter/antimatter collision important in science?

Matter/antimatter collision is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws of physics and the origin of the universe. It also has practical applications such as in medical imaging and energy production.

3. How is matter/antimatter collision studied?

Matter/antimatter collision is studied using particle accelerators, where particles are accelerated to high speeds and then made to collide with their antimatter counterparts. The resulting particles and energy are then measured and analyzed.

4. What are the potential dangers of matter/antimatter collision?

The main potential danger of matter/antimatter collision is the release of large amounts of energy, which could potentially cause damage if not properly contained and controlled. However, the amount of energy produced in such collisions is currently too small to pose a significant threat.

5. Can matter and antimatter coexist?

No, matter and antimatter cannot coexist for long periods of time. As soon as they come into contact, they will annihilate each other, releasing energy. This is why there is only a small amount of antimatter in the universe compared to matter, as it is constantly being destroyed in collisions with matter.