Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How dangerous is matter/antimatter collisions?

1. Oct 20, 2008 #1
    If i had enough matter and antimatter to release same amount of energy as a small camp fire, would the gamma rays be dangerous?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2008 #2
    Are any gamma rays NOT dangerous...I assume you mean to life.
  4. Oct 21, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

It's all a matter of dose, really.

"All things are poison and nothing is without poison, only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."--Paracelsus
  5. Oct 21, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you collided a single electron and positron you would only get a pair of gamma photons, the odds of doing much damage with just 2 photons are pretty small.

If the safe dose of gamma is around 10mSv (that is absorbed 10mJ/kg of body weight) and you weigh 100kg (it's worth hitting the burgers to make the maths easier) then you can absorb about 1kJ of gamma rays - that is the energy output of small campfire (say 1kw) in 1 second.
  6. Oct 21, 2008 #5
    On the other hand the same energy released during the during the course of the campfire squeezed in a few milliseconds tells me I want to stand at a safe distance. The gamma photons would be the least of my worries. Damage would be comparable to more than a few sticks of dynamite.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?