1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matter/antimatter collisions is now what bugs me

1. Jan 11, 2010 #1
    First post here so sorry if I got it in the wrong spot. I'd like to say though I am very exited to have found this site. I see some sleepless nights in my very near future :wink:

Matter/antimatter collisions, appear to me, to violate the Law of conservation of matter and energy. I suspect once we understand more about multidimensional physics we shall find the law to hold true. But hey, like my name says im the amatuer, I also suspect there could be more plausable explantion out there and I just haven't found it.

I turmoiled over the Big Bang for a long time until I found "Inflation" ; which summarily removed my problem with the theory. Matter/antimatter collisions is now what bugs me (partial geek here I guess).

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2010 #2
    Re: Antimatter

reading the post, my question is why does the collision not prove the law false.

4. Jan 11, 2010 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

How?

The amount of energy released from the collision of matter and anitmatter is determined by E=mc2, i.e. complete conversion of matter to energy.

5. Jan 11, 2010 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What makes you think that such collisions would violate conservation of energy? (There's no such law as conservation of 'matter'.)

6. Jan 11, 2010 #5

First thanks for the reply! I guess I'm missing the bassics then. My understanding when Matter/antimatter collide, a complete annihilation occurs. Nothing left. No matter, no energy. Are you telling me the matter is gone but energy is released into the universe?

7. Jan 11, 2010 #6

Doc Al

Yes, that's one possibility. When the particles annihilate, energy is released as photons. The total energy (including rest energy of mass) is always conserved.

8. Jan 11, 2010 #7

Well thanks. I was thinking the energy was gone as well.

Thanks for helping a curious amatuer, sorry if I wasted your time.

9. Jan 11, 2010 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

You are not wasting our time. We fall all over each other to answer questions such as yours.

10. Jan 11, 2010 #9

Doc Al

:rofl: Yeah, what a bunch of geeks, eh?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook