Questions about planetary magnetic fields

In summary, the Earth's South Pole is called its North Pole due to the convention of the magnetic needle of a compass. This is because the Earth's magnetic field flips periodically and the current North Magnetic Pole is actually a Magnetic South Pole. This phenomenon is well-known and documented through the history of magnetic pole flips recorded in rocks on the sea floor. Other planets' North and South Poles are defined relative to Earth's North Pole, but some do not have magnetic fields at all. This phenomenon is also explored in the TV series "Planet Earth" and has been studied by scientists since the 1960s. Despite the scientific accuracy of the Earth's South Pole being its North Pole, it has not been changed due to the constant flipping of
Hawksteinman
1. Why is Earth's South Pole called its North Pole? Why hasn't it been changed to make it more scientifically accurate?

2. Why are the North Poles of other planets defined relative to Earth's 'North' Pole? Why isn't it based upon the actual direction of the planet's magnetic field?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
To answer question #1, I believe the answer is the north pole of a magnet follows the convention of the magnetic needle of a compass. The north pole of the magnet, when on the surface of Earth (at least in most places) will be the end that points north. This is also designated as the + pole. It's own magnetic field will go from the + end to the - end outside the compass needle. It turns out, for the iron that makes up the Earth's magnetic field inside the earth, in order for the Earth's magnetic field to point north outside the Earth and align the compass needle, it actually has its + pole inside the Earth in the southern hemisphere. To follow the convention of the compass needle, that is the north magnetic pole of the earth. My explanation is somewhat wordy, but hopefully it answers question #1. I think for question #2, the answer is the same as question #1.

Charles Link said:
To answer question #1, I believe the answer is the north pole of a magnet follows the convention of the magnetic needle of a compass. The north pole of the magnet, when on the surface of Earth (at least in most places) will be the end that points north. This is also designated as the + pole. It's own magnetic field will go from the + end to the - end outside the compass needle. It turns out, for the iron that makes up the Earth's magnetic field inside the earth, in order for the Earth's magnetic field to point north outside the Earth and align the compass needle, it actually has its + pole inside the Earth in the southern hemisphere. To follow the convention of the compass needle, that is the north magnetic pole of the earth. My explanation is somewhat wordy, but hopefully it answers question #1. I think for question #2, the answer is the same as question #1.

A magnet's North Pole would point North. This is because the magnetic field lines go out from the North Pole of the magnet and into the North Pole of the Earth. Therefore Earth's North Pole is actually a South Pole.

And as for the other planets' North and south poles, some have them the right way round and some don't.

Source: Brian Cox's Wonders of the Solar System (book) and a link here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poles_of_astronomical_bodies?wprov=sfti1

Hawksteinman said:
1. Why is Earth's South Pole called its North Pole? Why hasn't it been changed to make it more scientifically accurate?

Charles Link said:
To answer question #1, I believe the answer is the north pole of a magnet follows the convention of the magnetic needle of a compass. The north pole of the magnet, when on the surface of Earth (at least in most places) will be the end that points north...... huge snip

Charles's explanation is only part of it
He hasn't taken into account that the magnetic poles periodically flip.

in times gone bye, magnetic north and geographic north poles were both at the "top end" and times before that it was opposite as it is now so there is no point renaming it ... it is scientifically accurate as it stands

Some time in the future it will flip again and once again the magnetic north pole will be up the top end and all the red
ends of our compass needles (that we have labelled as north seeking) will be incorrect

Hawksteinman said:
Therefore Earth's North Pole is actually a South Pole.

well it has to be, as you already established in your first post that the geo. south pole was the magnetic north pole :wink:
Hawksteinman said:
And as for the other planets' North and south poles, some have them the right way round and some don't.

and some don't have magnetic fields at allDave

Last edited:
Likes Hawksteinman
1) The Earth's North Magnetic Pole is (today) a Magnetic South Pole.

2) This is well known. Maybe you didn't know this, but nevertheless it is well known.

Vanadium 50 said:
1) The Earth's North Magnetic Pole is (today) a Magnetic South Pole.

2) This is well known. Maybe you didn't know this, but nevertheless it is well known.

So 1) is because the magnetic field flips?

And 2) is for the same reason?

Hawksteinman said:
So 1) is because the magnetic field flips?

as I said earlier ... yes :smile:

Likes Hawksteinman
davenn said:
as I said earlier ... yes :smile:
This question seems to be answered by the "link" of post #7. The northern hemisphere was not a magnetic north pole any time in recorded history according to this article.

Charles Link said:
This question seems to be answered by the "link" of post #7. The northern hemisphere was not a magnetic north pole any time in recorded history according to this article.

The history of magnetic pole flips are recorded by rocks cooling on the sea floor.

Likes davenn
Charles Link said:
The northern hemisphere was not a magnetic north pole any time in recorded history according to this article.

no one said it was :wink:

stefan r said:
The history of magnetic pole flips are recorded by rocks cooling on the sea floor.

yes, and that's where it was first discovered and recognised for what it was :smile:
and if you hadn't mentioned it, I was going to

there's a zillion links about it

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...fox-b&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=CTy2WdnRGOzDXuTFv-gD

I was first made aware of it during a1980's TV series "Planet Earth"

Drummond Matthews and Frederick Vine at Cambridge University during ~ 1962 - 1965 unlocked the secret
of the magnetic stripes in the rocks on either side of the oceanic spreading ridges

https://www.google.com.au/search?cl...-ab..12.2.402...0i7i30k1j0i8i30k1.69aY8oR7gMc

WOW ... that's a life time ago when I was watching that

cheers
Dave

Likes Hawksteinman
I assume that North and South were determined long before magnetism was discovered.

1. What are planetary magnetic fields?

Planetary magnetic fields are invisible areas of magnetism that surround planets and other celestial bodies. They are created by the movement of molten iron and other metals in the planet's core.

2. Why do some planets have magnetic fields while others do not?

The presence of a planetary magnetic field is largely determined by the amount of molten iron and other conductive materials in a planet's core. Planets with a solid or smaller core are less likely to have magnetic fields.

3. How do planetary magnetic fields protect us?

Planetary magnetic fields act as a shield against harmful solar radiation and charged particles from the sun. They also help to maintain a planet's atmosphere by preventing it from being stripped away by solar winds.

4. Can planetary magnetic fields change over time?

Yes, planetary magnetic fields can change over time. This is especially true for planets with active cores, like Earth, where the magnetic field can fluctuate in strength and direction. This is known as geomagnetic reversal.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect a planet's magnetic field?

Yes, the rotation and tilt of a planet can also affect its magnetic field. For example, Earth's magnetic field is tilted at an angle due to its tilted axis, which causes the magnetic poles to be offset from the geographic poles.