1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions for an aspiring physicist

1. Jan 1, 2016 #1
    I'm currently 16, pretty young to be thinking about my future like this I know, but I really like science. Not so much experimental but that might change seeing as how the only ones I do right now are really really basic and don't interest me at all.

But that's not to say I don't like science. The complete opposite. I'm looking at much more interesting topics like particle spin, strangeness, projectile motion, classical mechanics and a large amount of advanced mathematics.

I'm going into college next year (UK) And taking Maths, further maths, physics and computer science, and I want to end up getting tenure at a University as a professor. (I know what you're thinking, "YOU'RE CRAZY! NOBODY GETS TENURE!" and it's a dream, not necessarily a reality) which means getting a bachelors, masters, doctorate and postdoc experience. I just want to know,

• What is life as a physicist like in general?

• What is the salary like as a minimum? (I'm not in it for the money by the way)

• Academia, Industry or Government pros and cons?

• Where would I go to talk to physicists and ask more questions like this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Have a look through some of the PF Education Insights articles about physics:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/category/education/ [Broken]

See especially the "So you want to be a Physicist" series on page 2 of that set of Insights... :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook