1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions on finding average EMF

1. May 13, 2015 #1
    A 34 turn circular coil of wire has diameter 1.07 m. It is placed with its axis along the direction of the Earth's magnetic field of 60.0 µT, and then in 0.202 s it is flipped 180°. An average emf of what magnitude is generated in the coil?

ε = − dΦB dt = −2Nπr 2B/dt = 16.95 when I used 3.14. I changed 3.14 to 3.141 and entered 16.97 I still get the same error message "Your response is within 10% of the correct value. This may be due to roundoff error, or you could have a mistake in your calculation. Carry out all intermediate results to at least four-digit accuracy to minimize roundoff error. mV".
    Does anyone what is acceptable answer for the question from webassign?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2015 #2
    You are making an error in calculation, not in the value of π.

I don’t know where the error is. Are you sure you are dividing by 0.202 seconds and not 0.220?

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  4. May 14, 2015 #3
    Yes. I use 0.202. Can you please help on finding my problem?

5. May 14, 2015 #4

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Lilly1, I have moved this thread to the Introductory Physics Homework forum. It would be helpful if you could give more detail on your attempt at solution (i.e., give the numbers you are using for each quantity in the calculation).

6. May 14, 2015 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Two things don't look right in what I've quoted here.

7. May 15, 2015 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you meant to write ε(t) = -N dΦ/dt = -Nπr2 dB/dt which would be right.
    However, they're asking for the average emf over the 180 degree rotation, so you write avg ε(t) = -N avg(dφ/dt).
    In general, avg f(t) = ∫f(t)dt/∫dt = (1/T)∫f(t)dt. So avg(dφ/dt) = (1/T)∫(dφ/dt)dt = (1/T)∫dφ = Δφ/T
    and avg ε = -NΔφ/T. So, what is your Δφ? Then compute avg ε.
    Your answer should be a positive number since they're asking for magnitude.
    BTW I get nothing like 16.97V. More like 0.1% of that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted