1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions on Freidel's Group Field Theory (hep-th/050516)

1. Nov 27, 2005 #1

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Questions on Freidel's "Group Field Theory (hep-th/050516)"

In Laurent Freidel's general description of group field theory, http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0505016, which I am studying as preparation for the paper on getting quantum dynamics out of kinematics which was recommended by Helge Rose', I have hit a question. So in case others may want to follow this course to exciting new results, I pose it here, and dignify it with a thread in expectation there will be other questions.
    Freidel says:
    My question is: how far is this invariance due to features of the Ponzano-Regge model and how far is it a combinatorial expression of the lack of local degrees of freedom in 2-D GR? In general how does the combinatorial structure of a spin-foam model relate to the underlying dynamics on the manifold being represented?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2005 #2
    I suppose you meant hep-th/0505016, "Group field theory: An overview"?

4. Nov 27, 2005 #3

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yes. Quoting from the conclusion:

5. Nov 27, 2005 #4

Kea

selfAdjoint

It is basically a combinatorial expression of the lack of local degrees of freedom. The beauty of Ponzano-Regge was in actually constructing such an expression.

Sorry, but your second question is a little vague to me.
    Kea :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?