Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions on Freidel's Group Field Theory (hep-th/050516)

1. Nov 27, 2005 #1

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Questions on Freidel's "Group Field Theory (hep-th/050516)"

In Laurent Freidel's general description of group field theory, http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0505016, which I am studying as preparation for the paper on getting quantum dynamics out of kinematics which was recommended by Helge Rose', I have hit a question. So in case others may want to follow this course to exciting new results, I pose it here, and dignify it with a thread in expectation there will be other questions.
    Freidel says:
    My question is: how far is this invariance due to features of the Ponzano-Regge model and how far is it a combinatorial expression of the lack of local degrees of freedom in 2-D GR? In general how does the combinatorial structure of a spin-foam model relate to the underlying dynamics on the manifold being represented?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2005 #2
    I suppose you meant hep-th/0505016, "Group field theory: An overview"?

4. Nov 27, 2005 #3

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yes. Quoting from the conclusion:

5. Nov 27, 2005 #4

Kea

selfAdjoint

It is basically a combinatorial expression of the lack of local degrees of freedom. The beauty of Ponzano-Regge was in actually constructing such an expression.

Sorry, but your second question is a little vague to me.
    Kea :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?