Questions on Many Worlds Interpretation

In summary: In the MWI, these different states or "worlds" represent different outcomes of a measurement. So, in a sense, the separation between X and Y is just the result of a measurement being made and branching off into different possibilities.As for your second question, the MWI doesn't necessarily indicate what these parallel universes are made of. They can be seen as different configurations of the same matter, but it's also possible that they are made up of entirely different matter or even different laws of physics. It's a concept that is still being explored and debated among physicists. Overall, the MWI offers an interesting and
LOL. Sorry, I'm as clear as a closed book. I don't mean the theory is not well understood, but it's just maths applied to something. What I am not sure is what "something" applies for. As for there being a "me" conscious of having chosen another option, I don't have it. What the theory says is a may be smeared out between both states, not that any of them has an independent existence

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: that immortal cat in the unopened box... before the box is opened, what if a person is looking at pictures in the same room... should that change anything? I wouldn't think so. What if there is a mechanical device that is running inside the box... this, in and of itself, should not change anything. But what if that mechanical device is a web camera taking pictures and posting them somewhere on the web? What the mechanical device 'is' and 'does', should not change anything. Finally what if the pictures that are being looked at are the ones from the camera!?

At what point does the probability wave collapse?

Regardless of the answer, if the pic shows the cat is alive, a new wave has formed since the pic was taken... however, if the cat is dead then the game is over. This means something but... LOL!... I'm not sure what just yet. Maybe this test should use the random event to flip a coin instead so that there is more of a balance... or maybe I'm just over medicated once again. ;-)

Rusty

Edit: It seems to me -- this shows that the cat is either dead or alive regardless of observation and that the cat is never both alive and dead -- this is all within your head.

Last edited: