Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions on synthesizing Fluorine 18

1. May 28, 2010 #1
    I have a couple questions but first some background:

Fluorine 18 is used in PET scans as a beta+ emitter. Generally it is created with an 11-18 MeV cyclotron by bombarding Oxygen 18 with protons. I read a paper that said there was an alternative way to produce F 18 by the NEON-20(DEUTERON, ALPHA)FLUORINE-18 reaction that only requires about 1-3 MeV. My question is, are there other ways that any of you know of to transmute a relatively stable isotope into F 18 by, say neutron bombardment?

Another question:
    If you wrap Americium 241 with Beryllium foil you create a neutron source that gives off about 5 MeV neutrons. What's neat about that is it's all passive--nothing to plug in, it just works. Is there a way that you can create a Deuteron emitter that works just as simply?

Thanks!

Marlin

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2010 #2
    Natural, stable F is 19F. 18F has one less neutron for that number of protons, which is why it decays by positron emission. Because it's on the neutron-poor side of the line of optimal stability, you really can't produce it by irradiating a target material with neutrons.

A deuteron is quite an unstable nucleus - it has relatively low binding energy per nucleon, which is why it likes to react with other light nuclei in reactions such as D-D and D-T fusion, for example.

Because it's relatively weakly bound, it's very unlikely to be found as the product of a nuclear reaction, analogous to the 9Be(alpha, n)12C reaction that goes on inside an alpha-Be neutron source.

To make a source of energetic deuterons, you ionise deuterium gas within the ion source of a particle accelerator such as a cyclotron, just as you would with unenriched hydrogen if you were using a proton beam.

4. May 29, 2010 #3
    Thank you Minerva. Looks like good info.

Marlin

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook