Quetions of body under collison

  • Thread starter Thread starter manal950
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Body Collison
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
manal950
Messages
177
Reaction score
0
Hi all

http://store2.up-00.com/June12/pG127901.jpg


V^2 = u^2 + 2as
V = 8.85 m/s which will be intial veloctiy befor hits the second body

Bu using
e(u1 - u2 )=V2 -V1
m1u1 +m2u2 =m1v1+m2v2



for the body which is 20 N
mass 20.3
u1 = 8.86 0m/s
V1 after collision = 0 m/s
for the second body which is 40 N
mass = 4.077
u2 = 0
v2 we will find final velocity after collion
m1u1 +m2u2 =m1v1+m2v2
2.03 X 8.86 + 4.077 X 0 = 2.03X(0) + 4.077V2
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
v1 after the collision is not 0, this is because the objects have different masses.
But since u2 is 0, you can solve for v1 using:

V = (m1-m2)u/(m1 + m2)

After solving for v, using that for kinetic energy and set that equal to potential energy.
 
you mean by ""using that for kinetic energy and set that equal to potential energy""

this equation
m1u1 +m2u2 =m1v1+m2v2

and is the final answer for height
1.78 and 1.44 m
 
Because we have 2 unknown V1 and V2 I will find it by this two equation ...

m1u1 +m2u2 = m1v1 + m2V2
2.03X8.8+4.077(0) = 2.03(v1)+4.077V2
17.6204 = 2.03V1 + 4.077V2 ====== fist equation (1)

e(u1-u2) = (V2 - V1)
0.8(8.86 - 0 ) V2 - V 1
V2 = 7.088 + V 1 this second equation (2)
so I will make V2 in first equation
17.6204 = 2.03V1 + 4.077(7.088 + V1 )
17.6204 = 2.03V1 + 28.89+4.077V1
V1 = -1.84m/s
Now I will findV2
17.06204 = 2.03(-1.84) + 4.077V2
21.6551 = 4.077V2
V2 = 5.24 m/s

so is that correct or not ??
 
Last edited:
manal950 said:
you mean by ""using that for kinetic energy and set that equal to potential energy""

this equation
m1u1 +m2u2 =m1v1+m2v2

and is the final answer for height
1.78 and 1.44 m

I actually gave you the wrong equation, my mistake.

The correct equation is:

v2 = (2m1 u1)/(m1+m2)

Solve for v2, then use that value for kinetic energy and set that equal to potential energy, which is mgh.
 
manal950 said:
Because we have 2 unknown V1 and V2 I will find it by this two equation ...

m1u1 +m2u2 = m1v1 + m2V2
2.03X8.8+4.077(0) = 2.03(v1)+4.077V2
17.6204 = 2.03V1 + 4.077V2 ====== fist equation (1)

e(u1-u2) = (V2 - V1)
0.8(8.86 - 0 ) V2 - V 1
V2 = 7.088 + V 1 this second equation (2)
so I will make V2 in first equation
17.6204 = 2.03V1 + 4.077(7.088 + V1 )
17.6204 = 2.03V1 + 28.89+4.077V1
V1 = -1.84m/s
Now I will findV2
17.06204 = 2.03(-1.84) + 4.077V2
21.6551 = 4.077V2
V2 = 5.24 m/s

so is that correct or not ??

Yes, the method is correct, but the velocity is off by a bit.
 
m1u1 +m2u2 = m1v1 + m2V2
2.038735X8.85889+4.07747(0) = 2.038735(v1)+4.07747V2
18.0609 = 2.038735(v1) + 4.07747V2 ====== first equation (1)

e(u1-u2) = (V2 - V1)
0.8(8.85889 - 0 ) V2 - V 1
V2 = 7.087112 + V 1 this second equation (2)
so I will make V2 in first equation
18.0609 = 2.038735(v1) + 4.07747(7.087112 + V 1)
18.0609 = 2.038735(v1) + 28.89748 + 4.07747V1
18.0609 - 28.89748 = 2.038735(v1) + 4.07747V1
-10.83658 = 6.116205 V1
V1 = -1.77178 m/s

Now I will findV2
V2 = 7.087112 + (-1.77178)
V2 = 5.3153 m/s

----------- now for the e = 1 I will get velocity V2 -----------------
e(u1-u2) = (V2 - V1)
1(8.85889 - 0 ) =V2 - V1
V2 = 8.85889 + V 1
I will make V2 in 1
18.0609 = 2.038735(v1) + 4.07747(8.85889 + V 1)
18.0609 - 36.12185 = 6.116205V1
V1 = -2.9529 m/s
V2 = 8.85889 + (-2.9529)
v2 = 5.9059 m/s Now finding the height :
when e = 1
1/2mv2 = mhg
0.5(2.03873)(5.9059)^2 = 2.03873 X 9.81 X h
h = 1.7 m

when e = 0.8
1/2mv2 = mgh
0.5(2.03873)(5.3153)^2 = (2.03873)gh
m = 1.4 m
 
Last edited: