Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Queueing theory in massive transportation

1. Dec 14, 2011 #1
    Hi

I'm working on a project trying to analize the massive transportation system in Bogota (Colombia). I know that simulation tools are better in complex environments but I want to try some analytic tools.

I was thinking how to model the process in which people wait for a Bus. But I dont know really how to model this process.

Suposse the capacity of the BUS is 100 people.

I was thinking of a system G/G/100/100. Am I correct?

Can any one help me? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2011 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

They are!

You'll find that if you think clearly about how to create a simulation, you will be able to state all the information needed to do an analytic solution.

Whether you are correct or not can only be determined if you use say what you are trying to use this model for. I don't see how you plan to visualize a bus as 100 servers. One cannot say whether a a model fits a situation unless the user explains how the components of the model map to the component parts of reality.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook