Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Calculations by Shi Fengshou in English?

1. Nov 7, 2007 #1
    "Quick Calculations" by Shi Fengshou in English?

I'm looking for an English manual to "Shi Fengshou Rapid Calculations." Apparently the guy wrote a book in Chinese sometime between 1970 and 1980 called "Quick Calculations." However, I haven't been able to find an English translation of it. I would settle for any book about his "rapid calculation" formulas, but I haven't been able to find any in English. At his website they describe the basics of his methods:

shifengshou.com

Can anyone recommend a book with even the same ideas? I think this guy is supposed to be the original "human calculator," and if I'm going to invest time in learning a system, I want to learn the best.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2007 #2
    I believe it has something to do with an abacus, or something similar. I think a few countries have a competition for kids where they do large arithmetic operations with abaci. There are some people that were so proficient at it they can picture an abacus in their mind and do large calculations that way.

But I mean what's the point? We have calculators

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  4. Nov 8, 2007 #3
    Bragging rights, like most things in life.

5. Nov 8, 2007 #4
    Or: Just plain fun:)

Isn't this suppose to be a math forum? Am I the only one here who would find satisfaction in knowing I could do this stuff in my head? I'm only 29, but you guys are already making me feel old.

Besides, with all the competition in carpentry, for a carpenter this kind of thing could make the difference between a pay raise or even a job. Every edge helps.

6. Nov 9, 2007 #5

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Well If i ever get stranded on an island with no working paper, I will gladly drown. If I have working paper, Ill do everything by hand if I have to, stuff your abacus, schmabacus. I don't see how quick calculations will help in Carpentry by the way...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?