Quick check of 4 term polynomial factorised

In summary: So, in summary, the correct way to factorize the equation $$ at^2-4a + 2t^2-8$$ is to first group the values into (at^2-4a) + (2t^2-8), then factorize these equations into a(t^2-4a) + 2(t^2-4), and finally regroup to get (a+2)(t^2-4). To factor further, change the 4 to 2^2, which gives (t^2-2^2), and then use the difference of two squares method to get the final answer of (a+2)(t-2)(t+2). It is always a
Taylor_1989
Could someone quickly go over my working, as I am not 100% sure I have done it the right way. I will show and explain my working step by step.

$$ at^2-4a + 2t^2-8$$

I first grouped the values: [itex] (at^2-4a) + (2t^2-8) [/itex]

I then factorised these equations into: [itex] a(t^2-4a) + 2(t^2-4) [/itex]

I then regrouped: [itex] (a+2) (t^2-4) [/itex]

This is the part I am not sure is right, I the thought to factor more I could change the [itex] 4 [/itex] to [itex] 2^2 [/itex] which would give [itex] (t^2-2^2) [/itex] which gave me the difference of two squares; right?

I then got the final answer of: [itex] (a+2)(t-2)(t+2) [/itex].

I would just like to know if this is the right way of doing a equation like this, if not could someone show where I have gone wrong.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me. You can always multiply out your final answer and see if it comes out to your original equation.

Taylor_1989 said:
Could someone quickly go over my working, as I am not 100% sure I have done it the right way. I will show and explain my working step by step.

$$ at^2-4a + 2t^2-8$$

I first grouped the values: [itex] (at^2-4a) + (2t^2-8) [/itex]

I then factorised these equations into: [itex] a(t^2-4a) + 2(t^2-4) [/itex]
You have an error (maybe a typo) above. The first term should be a(t2 - 4).
Taylor_1989 said:
I then regrouped: [itex] (a+2) (t^2-4) [/itex]

This is the part I am not sure is right, I the thought to factor more I could change the [itex] 4 [/itex] to [itex] 2^2 [/itex] which would give [itex] (t^2-2^2) [/itex] which gave me the difference of two squares; right?

I then got the final answer of: [itex] (a+2)(t-2)(t+2) [/itex].

I would just like to know if this is the right way of doing a equation like this, if not could someone show where I have gone wrong.

Yeah it was a typo, my bad.

I would suggest double-checking your work and making sure you fully understand the concept of factoring polynomials before relying on someone else's verification. However, based on your explanation, your approach seems correct. You correctly grouped the terms and factored out the common factors. Your next step of changing 4 to 2^2 is also a valid method for factoring the difference of squares. Your final answer of (a+2)(t-2)(t+2) also looks correct.

1. What is a 4 term polynomial?

A 4 term polynomial is a mathematical expression with four terms, where each term contains a variable raised to a power and may include constants and coefficients. An example of a 4 term polynomial is 3x^3 + 2x^2 + 5x + 1.

2. How do you factorize a 4 term polynomial?

To factorize a 4 term polynomial, you need to find the common factors of all four terms and then use the distributive property to factor out those common factors. This process continues until you can no longer factor out any common factors. The remaining terms will be the factors of the polynomial.

3. What is the purpose of a quick check of 4 term polynomial factorised?

The purpose of a quick check of 4 term polynomial factorised is to verify if the factoring process was done correctly. It helps to ensure that the factors obtained are correct and can be used to solve the polynomial or simplify it further.

4. How do you know if a 4 term polynomial is fully factorised?

A 4 term polynomial is fully factorised when all possible common factors have been factored out and the remaining terms cannot be factored further. This means that the polynomial is in its simplest form and cannot be simplified any further.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when factorizing a 4 term polynomial?

Some common mistakes to avoid when factorizing a 4 term polynomial include not identifying all common factors, forgetting to use the distributive property, and incorrectly factoring out negative signs. It is important to double check the factored form of the polynomial to ensure it is correct.