Quick Help Dividing Polynomials

• Thread starter marcflores
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomials
I think I just wanted to find an easy number to multiply by, so I chose 3x^2. Then, I just continued with the algorithm. In summary, the conversation discusses a long division problem involving a polynomial divided by another polynomial. The expert summarizer summarizes the steps taken to solve the problem and clarifies the use of the commutative law of addition. The final answer is confirmed to be correct and the importance of keeping terms in decreasing power is emphasized.
marcflores

Homework Statement

[tex](6x^4-3x^2+x-4) / (2x^2+1)[/tex]

Homework Equations

Relevant equations?

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my attempt, but I want to make sure that I didn't break any laws by changing the number to be divided by switching the last two terms around by using the commutative law of addition:

[tex][6x^4-3x^2+(-4)+x][/tex] -- is this okay so far?

So, I wrote [tex]2x^2+1[/tex] divided by [tex][6x^4-3x^2+(-4)+x][/tex]

Then I wrote it out like long division (can't find the division symbol in laTex) and here are the steps I took:

[tex](3x^2)(2x^2+1) = 6x^4+3x^2[/tex]

Then, I subtracted the product from the first two terms of the dividend:

[tex](6x^4-3x^2) - (6x^4+3x^2) = -6x^2[/tex]

Carry down the +(-4) from the dividend and I have:

[tex]-6x^2-4[/tex]

Then I multiply the divisor by negative three and subtract the product from [tex]-6x^2-4[/tex]:

[tex](2x^2+1)(-3) = -6x^2-3[/tex]

That leaves me with -1 and I carry down the x from the dividend leaving:

-1 + x

So, my answer is [tex]3x^2-3+\frac{-1+x}{2x^2+1}[/tex]

I just want to know if this is correct or if I was wrong in redistributing the terms in the original dividend. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jeez, re-reading my post even left me confused. It's too bad I can't replicate it on the forums as I have it written on my paper.

your final answer is right.

Usually you want to keep the terms in decreasing power so you know for sure you do them in that order. you don't want to do 3x^2 before doing 6x^4 here.
You can change the terms around just be sure to do them in the right order otherwise you could get mixed up and get the answer wrong.

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the input and help.

I think the reason I did 3x^2 was to find a monomial that would produce the product 6x^4 when multiplied by 2x^2 (the first term in the divisor).

1. What is the process for dividing polynomials?

The process for dividing polynomials involves using long division or synthetic division to divide the terms of one polynomial by the terms of another polynomial.

2. How do I know when to use long division or synthetic division for dividing polynomials?

Long division is typically used when the divisor is a binomial and synthetic division is used when the divisor is a linear polynomial in the form of x-a. Additionally, synthetic division is typically faster and easier to use.

3. Can I divide a polynomial by any other polynomial?

Yes, you can divide a polynomial by any other polynomial. However, the resulting quotient may not always be a polynomial. It could be a rational expression or a remainder.

4. What are the steps to divide polynomials using long division?

The steps for dividing polynomials using long division are: 1. Write the dividend and divisor in descending order, with missing terms represented by a placeholder of 0. 2. Divide the first term of the dividend by the first term of the divisor to get the first term of the quotient. 3. Multiply the first term of the divisor by the first term of the quotient, and write the result below the dividend. 4. Subtract the result from the corresponding terms of the dividend. 5. Bring down the next term of the dividend and continue the process until there are no more terms to bring down. 6. The final result is the quotient and any remaining terms are the remainder.

5. How can I check if I have correctly divided two polynomials?

You can check if you have correctly divided two polynomials by multiplying the quotient and divisor together, and adding any remainder. The resulting expression should be equal to the dividend. Additionally, you can also use a polynomial calculator to verify your answer.