What Is the Monic Greatest Common Divisor of Two Given Polynomials?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
auru
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the monic greatest common divisor of two polynomials a = 6x6 + 12x5 - 6x4 -12x +12 and b = 3x4 - 3.

Homework Equations



The Euclidean Algorithm.

The Attempt at a Solution



Applying the Euclidean Algorithm, I have

a = 6x6 + 12x5 - 6x4 -12x +12 = (3x4 - 3)(2x2 + 4x -2) + (6x2 + 6)

b = 3x4 - 3 = (6x2 + 6)(##\frac {1}{2}##x2 - ##\frac {1}{2}##)

Now a monic polynomial has a leading coefficient of degree 1. Here, we have a common divisor of 6x2 + 6 which is not monic. How would I go about finding the monic greatest common divisor.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have fixed it. I'm still unsure how to find the monic greatest common divisor.
 
auru said:
6x2 + 6 which is not monic. How would I go about finding the monic greatest common divisor.
To minimise your embarrassment, I feel it is best to let you think a bit more about that.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: mfb
haruspex said:
To minimise your embarrassment, I feel it is best to let you think a bit more about that.

Why would I be embarrassed when I don't initially understand something? It may not be initially obvious to me, hence why I have asked for help.

As it turns out, in the general case I am able to divide the common divisor by a constant to attain the monic.