Quick (Most likely simple) Question

• Thread starter josht
  • Start date
In summary, the moon's mass causes the Earth to squeeze a bit, resulting in tidal forces that pull the ocean away from the Earth on the moon's side and pull the Earth away from the ocean on the opposite side. This can be explained by considering a sphere of dust particles falling towards the moon, which becomes an oblate spheroid due to the different directions in which the moon attracts different parts of the Earth. These tidal forces are described by both Newtonian gravitation and General Relativity.
josht
I was just curious why the moon has a pull on a tide facing the moon and on the complete opposite side of the Earth it has the same pull.

-Josh

Astronomy news on Phys.org
josht said:
I was just curious why the moon has a pull on a tide facing the moon and on the complete opposite side of the Earth it has the same pull.
Actually the mass of the moon causes the Earth to squeeze a bit.

josht said:

-Josh
Hi Josh! Welcome to these Forums!

One way of looking at it is to say on the Moon's side of the Earth the Moon pulls the ocean away from the Earth, on the other side the Moon pulls the Earth away from the ocean.

Another way of understanding it is to consider a sphere of dust particles, as a model of a 'fluid' Earth, falling towards the Moon. The 'left' and 'right' extremities are drawn towards the Moon and therefore close in on each other.

The sphere becomes an oblate spheroid because of the slightly different directions in which the Moon attracts different parts of the Earth. These are called tidal forces and are described both by Newtonian gravitation and General Relativity.

I hope this helps.

Garth

What is the definition of a "Quick Question"?

A quick question is a short and concise inquiry that can be answered in a brief amount of time. It is usually a simple question that does not require in-depth research or analysis.

Why is it important to ask quick questions?

Asking quick questions can save time and resources, as they can often be answered without extensive research or discussions. They can also help to clarify any confusion or doubts in a timely manner.

What are some characteristics of a good quick question?

A good quick question is clear and specific, and can be answered with a few sentences or less. It is also relevant and related to the topic at hand, and does not require additional background information.

How can I improve my ability to ask quick questions?

One way to improve your ability to ask quick questions is to practice being concise and direct. You can also try to anticipate any follow-up questions and include that information in your initial question.

When should I ask a quick question instead of a more detailed one?

Quick questions are best suited for situations where a brief and simple answer is needed, or when there is limited time for discussion. If the topic requires more in-depth understanding or discussion, it may be better to ask a more detailed question.