*Quick* - Need to pick between 2 telescopes - Whats better?

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter nukeman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Telescopes
In summary, the conversation revolves around choosing a telescope between a Dobsonian with a parabolic primary mirror and a computerized scope with a larger aperture. The expert advises that for beginners with a limited budget, it is better to focus on the quality of optics rather than additional features. It is also important to consider personal preferences in terms of effort in locating objects and sharing the view with others. Ultimately, the decision should be based on whether the telescope is for looking for objects or looking at objects.
nukeman
Hey guys,

I was originally going to order the following telescope, but I found one at a local store, so if its as good or better, it would be easier to get it so I don't have to order.

I was going to order this one:
http://www.islandeyepiece.com/shopexd.asp?id=833

But found this one in my town:
http://www.celestron.com/c3/product.php?CatID=78&ProdID=590

Which one is the better buy?

I am a novice, as this would be my first telescope besides binoc/spotting scope

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Watch out! The first link leads to a nice simple Dobsonian 'scope with a parabolic primary mirror. (Parabolic primary is good!)

Given the extra cost of the mount and computer and encoders in the second link, it's a pretty good bet that the primary mirror is not figured parabolically, but spherically. If that is true, then the Dob' will give you much better views.

If you are on a limited budget and are just starting out, it is best to concentrate your money on the best optics, not on bells and whistles that may or may not serve you well in the future.

Also note the difference in aperture. A 6" scope will gather almost twice as much light as a 4.5". In visual astronomy, aperture is king.

Last edited:
Great!

so you think the dob one i linked will be good to go? Is there anything i need to buy with that dob, or is it ready to go?

turbo-1 said:
Watch out! The first link leads to a nice simple Dobsonian 'scope with a parabolic primary mirror. (Parabolic primary is good!)

Given the extra cost of the mount and computer and encoders in the second link, it's a pretty good bet that the primary mirror is not figured parabolically, but spherically. If that is true, then the Dob' will give you much better views.

If you are on a limited budget and are just starting out, it is best to concentrate your money on the best optics, not on bells and whistles that may or may not serve you well in the future.

nukeman said:
Great!

so you think the dob one i linked will be good to go? Is there anything i need to buy with that dob, or is it ready to go?
You have a good basic package in that Dob'. If you'd like, you can wander over to Orion Telescopes and do a comparison with one of their XT Dobs. Their 6" XTs come in at around $300 with shipping, usually, and for a bit more, you could upgrade to an 8" with a nicer focuser.

Have you read through this thread?

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=391086

You may be able to get some useful information in there.

You'll see more with less effort with the computerized scope, so there is a lot of personal preference that needs to go into this decision. How hard are you really willing to work to find objects and keep them in the field of view? You'll spend several times more time looking for objects with the Dob than with the computerized scope. Are you going to want to show what you see to other people? Put some thought into such issues. Ultimately, I think it really comes down to: Are you getting a telescope to look for objects or look at objects.

I understand how hard it is to locate objects, that's why i started with binoc/spotting scope, and use my skychart a lot.

I want a telescope that gives the best image of the object i am looking at. I am willing to spend time looking for it, if it means a better image of that object.

russ_watters said:
You'll see more with less effort with the computerized scope, so there is a lot of personal preference that needs to go into this decision. How hard are you really willing to work to find objects and keep them in the field of view? You'll spend several times more time looking for objects with the Dob than with the computerized scope. Are you going to want to show what you see to other people? Put some thought into such issues. Ultimately, I think it really comes down to: Are you getting a telescope to look for objects or look at objects.

russ_watters said:
Good point. I'm not one for score-keeping and trying to locate as many objects as possible. I prefer to locate the objects manually (I have very dark skies, so that's easier for me than for some other folks) and spend some time with each. For instance, I love to look at Eplsilon Lyra (the double-double) whenever it's up, and pop in a succession of EPs to see how well the stars are resolved and how well they are separated. I like to look at the double cluster with low power, and pick an area with nice contrasting star-colors and swap out EPs.

I'm not a candidate for encoders or GOTO drives. I'd rather get there on my own steam, though it's nice to have a motorized GEM to keep objects centered while I change oculars, Barlows, etc. Generally, when a portion of the night sky is near zenith, I'll look at my Tirion charts (Uranometria, if it's not a dewy night) and pick out some object that I haven't seen before, star-hop to it, and spend some time with it.

turbo-1 said:
Good point. I'm not one for score-keeping and trying to locate as many objects as possible. I prefer to locate the objects manually (I have very dark skies, so that's easier for me than for some other folks) and spend some time with each. For instance, I love to look at Eplsilon Lyra (the double-double) whenever it's up, and pop in a succession of EPs to see how well the stars are resolved and how well they are separated. I like to look at the double cluster with low power, and pick an area with nice contrasting star-colors and swap out EPs.

I'm not a candidate for encoders or GOTO drives. I'd rather get there on my own steam, though it's nice to have a motorized GEM to keep objects centered while I change oculars, Barlows, etc. Generally, when a portion of the night sky is near zenith, I'll look at my Tirion charts (Uranometria, if it's not a dewy night) and pick out some object that I haven't seen before, star-hop to it, and spend some time with it.

good on you, a great attitude :) you will and by the sound of it already get to know your way around the sky much better searching manually.
Yes, star hopping is slower and something you wouldn't want to be wasting time doing if you were a researcher. But as an amateur astronomer it will be so much more fulfilling for you.
I know in my 40 yrs of backyard astronomy, it has been that way :)

Those that rely virtually totally on computer locating of objects miss out on the thrill of randomly finding other objects of interest that you, I and others have as we star hop our way to the "final destination" :)

cheers
Dave

Go for http://www.telescope.com/control/telescopes/dobsonian-telescopes/orion-skyquest-xt8-classic-dobsonian-telescope" if you are willing to spend as much as $340. Much better than the 6" IMO and shipping is free this month at Orion (for orders over $100)!

Last edited by a moderator:
davenn said:
good on you, a great attitude :) you will and by the sound of it already get to know your way around the sky much better searching manually.
Yes, star hopping is slower and something you wouldn't want to be wasting time doing if you were a researcher. But as an amateur astronomer it will be so much more fulfilling for you.
I know in my 40 yrs of backyard astronomy, it has been that way :)

Those that rely virtually totally on computer locating of objects miss out on the thrill of randomly finding other objects of interest that you, I and others have as we star hop our way to the "final destination" :)

cheers
Dave
Thank you. I love simple, tough gear. I have a 6" Astro-Physics apochromatic refractor on a very heavy, basic GEM with a heavy tripod. A large finder, good charts, and a bit of work is all it takes to find all kinds of nice stuff to view.

It is fun to sweep up something extra when star-hopping. I like to keep Uranometria around to identify faint stuff, even when I'm not using that book as my primary chart.

What are the technical specifications of the two telescopes?

The technical specifications of a telescope include its aperture, focal length, magnification, and optical design. These factors determine the telescope's ability to gather light, its field of view, and its image clarity. It is important to compare these specifications to determine which telescope is better suited for your needs.

What is the price difference between the two telescopes?

The price difference between two telescopes can be a major factor in deciding which one to choose. It is important to consider the features and specifications of each telescope to determine if the price difference is justified. It is also important to consider the long-term costs, such as maintenance and accessories, when making a decision.

Which telescope has better reviews and ratings?

Reading reviews and ratings from other users can provide valuable insights into the performance and reliability of a telescope. Look for reviews from reputable sources and consider the overall consensus before making a decision. It is also helpful to read reviews from users with similar needs and experience levels as yourself.

What is the reputation of the manufacturers of the two telescopes?

The reputation of the manufacturers can also play a role in deciding between two telescopes. Research the history and track record of the companies to determine if they have a reputation for producing high-quality and reliable telescopes. You may also want to consider the availability of customer support and warranty options.

Are there any additional features or accessories included with the telescopes?

Some telescopes may come with additional features or accessories, such as a carrying case, tripod, or extra eyepieces. These can add value to the telescope and make your viewing experience more enjoyable. Consider the included accessories and their quality when comparing the two telescopes.