Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Poll: Do you suffer from seasonal allergies?

1. Yes, I suffer from seasonal allergies

12 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. No, I do not suffer from seasonal allergies

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. Mar 23, 2012 #1
    Just a poll as the title says,

On the weather network poll, the split is nearly exactly 50/50 (delta is 150ish), on 16,000 votes!

I was suprised to see that split, just wanna see what happens here. Thanks for playing!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2012 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I didn't vote because my condition isn't listed. My dust allergy is perpetual rather than seasonal as a rule, but sometimes is worse in summer because the ground is dry. Snow prevents stuff from blowing around.

4. Mar 23, 2012 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Allergy? What is that?

5. Mar 23, 2012 #4
    Nope.

6. Mar 23, 2012 #5

Danger

Gold Member

A sensitivity to a substance which, upon prolonged exposure, can result in speckled blue hair.

7. Mar 24, 2012 #6
    Hayfever buddy, it's a killer >.>

Not literally... that I know of at least

8. Mar 24, 2012 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I have allergies year round.

9. Mar 24, 2012 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I was somewhat afflicted up to the age 13,14 or so, but then I grew up.
    It is difficult to solve non-linear partial differential equations while you sneeze!

10. Mar 24, 2012 #9

turbo

Gold Member

I have no real allergies, but severe physical reactions to fragrance chemicals, MSG, etc. I have seen (regularly) the top chemical-injury doctor in New England (he's at Dartmouth-Hitchcock) and he essentially gave up, saying only avoidance can keep things under control.

11. Mar 24, 2012 #10
    I think so?
    My allergies seem to come and go, once or twice a year. Usually twice since I moved to Texas from California. Although since we went into a drought, I have not had any problems since. I'm guessing because of that its some plant allergy, probably pollen.

12. Mar 25, 2012 #11

drizzle

Gold Member

:rofl:

13. Mar 25, 2012 #12
    Ah but do you have different allergies during each season? In which case you would still have seasonal allergies that just overlap each other.

14. Mar 25, 2012 #13
    I used to be allergic to something related to cats (not sure what). But not any more. Don't know why. No seasonal allergies. But on the rare occasions when I was exposed to extreme dust, I got sick for a few days.

15. Mar 26, 2012 #14

S_Happens

Gold Member

I have both seasonal and year round allergies. My worst is towards Ragweed in the fall, but my springtime allergies have gotten worse lately. And I seem to keep developing more. I was tested in 2005 and again in 2011 and there were significant differences. I developed an allergy to cats, although there is only one with a lot of dander that bothers me.

I started immunotherapy shots last year and have made it all the way up to the full maintenance dose that I'll be getting once a month for the next few years. I'm hoping this fall will show a significant difference, but plenty of antihistamine keeps it pretty well under control.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook