Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Python color coding in editing question

1. Jul 19, 2011 #1
    When I've been programming in Python for a while I noticed that the color coding in IDLE goes away. If I restart IDLE, the colors come back. Why is it doing this? How can I maintain the color in there without having to restart a bunch of times?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2011 #2

jhae2.718

Gold Member

The only reason I've noticed IDLE losing syntax highlighting is saving a Python file without the proper extension, but I haven't used IDLE in a long time. (I write Python in gedit and run my scripts from the terminal on a Linux box.)

You may want to consider using a different editor/IDE than IDLE, for me it's always been troublesome.

4. Jul 20, 2011 #3
    That was it exactly. I wasn't using the .py extension. I'm very new to programming so I haven't experimented with a different editor yet, I'll download some others and play around. Thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook