Quick question about compass/degree

• Thread starter personguything
  • Start date
In summary, a compass is a navigational tool that uses the Earth's magnetic field to determine direction. The degrees on a compass represent the direction in which the needle is pointing, with 0 degrees indicating north and 180 degrees indicating south. The red and white colors on a compass needle indicate the north and south ends. There is a difference between true north, the geographic location of the Earth's North Pole, and magnetic north, the direction in which a compass needle points. To use a compass for navigation, one must align the desired direction on the compass with the needle and then turn themselves until the needle is aligned with the North mark on the compass housing.
personguything
Hi!
My textbook has an answer written as 50° SW. I thought 50° was NE?...Does the book mean -50°(230°)?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
personguything said:
Hi!
My textbook has an answer written as 50° SW. I thought 50° was NE?...Does the book mean -50°(230°)?

Thanks!
Could be they mean 50° South of West, equivalent to 180° + 50° = 230°.

-50° would be equivalent to 310°.

OHHH south OF west haha I understand. Thanks!

gneill said:
Could be they mean 50° South of West, equivalent to 180° + 50° = 230°.

Wouldn't that be 50 degrees West of South :-)

West is 270 degrees so 50 degrees South of West would be 220.

Hello, thank you for your question. It is important to note that there are different conventions for labeling compass directions and degrees. In some conventions, such as the one used in your textbook, 0 degrees is considered North and the degrees increase in a clockwise direction. In this convention, 50° SW would mean 50 degrees to the southwest of North. However, in other conventions, 0 degrees is considered East and the degrees increase in a counterclockwise direction. In this convention, 50° would indeed be Northeast. It is always important to clarify which convention is being used in order to avoid confusion. In terms of your question about -50° (230°), this would depend on the convention being used. If the convention is the same as your textbook, then -50° would be 50 degrees to the southwest of North. In a different convention, it could mean 50 degrees to the northwest of East. I hope this helps clarify the confusion.

What is a compass and how does it work?

A compass is a navigational tool that uses the Earth's magnetic field to determine direction. It consists of a magnetized needle that aligns with the Earth's magnetic field, allowing the user to accurately determine north, south, east, and west.

What do the degrees on a compass mean?

The degrees on a compass represent the direction in which the needle is pointing. For example, 0 degrees indicates north, 90 degrees indicates east, 180 degrees indicates south, and 270 degrees indicates west.

Why do some compasses have a red and white needle?

The red and white colors on a compass needle are used to distinguish between the north and south ends. The red end usually indicates north, while the white end indicates south.

What is the difference between true north and magnetic north?

True north is the geographic location of the Earth's North Pole, while magnetic north is the direction in which a compass needle points. Due to the Earth's magnetic field, the location of magnetic north is slightly different from true north.

How do I use a compass to navigate?

To use a compass for navigation, first determine your desired direction on the compass by turning the compass housing until the desired degree is aligned with the needle. Then, hold the compass flat and steady, and turn yourself until the needle is aligned with the North mark on the compass housing. This will indicate the direction you need to travel in.