Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick question about Differential Equations.

1. Aug 3, 2011 #1
    I was working on a simple differential problem which caused me some confusion

original eq =

dy/dx = -x/2y

which can easily be altered into

y dy = (-x/2) dx

This finally transforms into (after antiderivatives are determined)

(y^2/2) = -(x^2/4) + c

While I can see that this logically is equivallent to the problem above I just don't see how the answer was derived. The x side of the equation makes perfect sense to me, but what I can't tell is how the y was derived to be (y^2/2). In my mind it should have just been y...

That aside I can see that the transformation is logical, but I can't figure out how it was derived.

Thanks,
    Ozone.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't see how you could say that! You say you see how [itex](x/2) dx[/itex] gives [itex]x^2/4+ c[/itex], I presume by recognizing that
    [tex]\frac{1}{2}\int xdx= \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1}{2}x^2\right)+ c= \frac{x^2}{4}+ c[/tex]

Welll, the left side is not different:
    [tex]\int y dy= \frac{1}{2}y^2+ c[/tex]

[tex]\int y dy= \frac{1}{2}\int x dx[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{1}{2} y^2+ c_1= \frac{1}{4} x^2+ c_2[/tex]

I have written the two constants differently because there is no reason to think they have to be the same. Now subtract [itex]c_1[/itex] from both sides:
    [tex]\frac{1}{2}y^2= \frac{1}{4}x^2+ (c_2- c_1)= \frac{1}{4}x^2+ c[/tex]
    where "c" is just [itex]c_2- c_1[/itex].

4. Aug 4, 2011 #3
    Thanks hallsofivy this is exactly what I was looking for. Also I will be sure to use the forums coding next time :). (I responded to your other post after I made this post).

5. Aug 4, 2011 #4
    Set F(x,y)≡-x/2y then 0=dF=(∂F/∂x)dx+(∂F/∂y)dy and, -(∂F/∂x)/(∂F/∂y)=dy/dx. Reversing the steps should answer your question.

6. Aug 6, 2011 #5

I was not able to correct my rough work above, so i shall do it now. You (`ozone`) say that, "I can't figure out how it was DERIVED".

The `derivation` follows from simple multivariable calculus. Given dy/dx=-x/2y, rewrite it as 2ydy+xdx=0. Next, introduce F∈C¹(ℝ²) and set F(x,y)=constant (level curves), so that 0=dF=∂F/∂ydy+∂F/∂xdx.

Identify ∂F/∂y=2y (*), and ∂F/∂x=x (**). From (*), F(x,y)=y²+c₁(x) and from (**), F(x,y)=½x²+c₂(y). The obvious choice is, F(x,y)=½x²+y²+constant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook