Quick question about simplifying radical expressions

In summary, the conversation discussed simplifying an expression and arriving at the answer of 2(y-2)√21(y-2) by factoring and utilizing the property of rational expressions. The conversation also mentioned using additional resources, such as textbooks and practice problems, to improve proficiency in algebra.
hackedagainanda
Homework Statement
Simplify the expression:
##\sqrt{84 \,(y - 2)^ 3\; }##
Relevant Equations
None.
So I simplify the expression and get 2 x 3^2 x 7 = 84 and get ##2 \sqrt{21(y−2)^{3/2}}##
I don't follow how the answer is ##2(y -2) \sqrt{21 ( y - 2) }##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Could it be that the expression has the 3 under the square root ? Like $$\sqrt{84 \,(y - 2)^ 3\; }\ \ ?$$ in which case you can pull out a factor 2 like you did, as well as a factor ##\ y-2\ ## and then you are left with the given answer !$$2 ( y -2) \sqrt {21(y-2)}$$

PS: Note the preview button
1630362279888.png
that allows you to check your ##\LaTeX## -- [edit] ah, you found it ...

Likes hackedagainanda
That's just noticing that for any number, ##x^{3/2} = x^{1 + (1/2)} = x * x^{1/2}##

So ##(y - 2)^{3/2}## can be written as ##(y - 2)(y - 2)^{1/2}##.

Oh, I see another issue. ##(y - 2)^{3/2}## shouldn't be under the radical sign. You had ##\sqrt{(y - 2)^3}##. That's equal to ##(y - 2)^{3/2}##, not ##\sqrt{(y - 2)^{3/2}}##.

Likes hackedagainanda
Sorry for the mess :( The preview button and MathJax are giving me lots of display issues at the moment.

RPinPA said:
That's just noticing that for any number, ##x^{3/2} = x^{1 + (1/2)} = x * x^{1/2}##

So ##(y - 2)^{3/2}## can be written as ##(y - 2)(y - 2)^{1/2}##.
That explains it very clearly, thanks! I sometimes forgot that rational expressions can be factored just like integers.

Slightly off-topic but is there some way to become more proficient at this? I feel like I'm starting to lag behind in my College Algebra course. I don't feel like the book has enough practice problems for me.

hackedagainanda said:
Slightly off-topic but is there some way to become more proficient at this? I feel like I'm starting to lag behind in my College Algebra course. I don't feel like the book has enough practice problems for me.
Doesn't your textbook have sets of problems at the ends of the sections and chapters? If not, get another textbook to supplement the one in your class. I'm sure there are lots of them listed on Amazon and elsewhere for not much money. And algebra is algebra, so it doesn't matter much which book you get.

Likes jim mcnamara
I always recommend Schaum's Outline series. They have a lot of worked examples and exercises with the answers. (There may now be similar things on the internet, but I am not familiar with any.)

1. What are radical expressions?

Radical expressions are mathematical expressions that contain a radical symbol (√) and a radicand (the number or expression under the radical symbol). They are used to represent numbers that cannot be simplified into whole numbers.

2. How do you simplify radical expressions?

To simplify a radical expression, you need to find the perfect square factors of the radicand and take them out of the radical symbol. The remaining factors inside the radical symbol are multiplied together, and the perfect square factors are taken out of the radical and written in front of it.

3. Can you give an example of simplifying a radical expression?

For example, to simplify √18, we first find the perfect square factors of 18, which are 9 and 2. We can write this as √9 x √2. The square root of 9 is 3, so we can take it out of the radical and write it as 3√2. Therefore, √18 simplifies to 3√2.

4. What is the difference between simplifying and solving radical expressions?

Simplifying radical expressions involves reducing the expression to its simplest form, while solving radical expressions involves finding the value of the expression by isolating the radical and solving for the variable. Simplifying is a simpler process and does not involve solving for a specific value.

5. Can you simplify radical expressions with variables?

Yes, radical expressions with variables can be simplified using the same process as simplifying expressions with numbers. However, if the variable has an exponent that is not a perfect square, the expression cannot be simplified further.