Quick question about Stafford loans

• Thread starter Proggle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Loans
In summary, if you are enrolled as a full-time student in a PhD program, you do not have to make payments for your undergraduate Stafford loans. However, interest may still accumulate and you will not be required to pay until you receive your graduate degree. This is due to a law that requires the government to pay the interest on government subsidized loans, including Stafford loans, while a student is enrolled in a full-time graduate program. It is recommended to check with your undergraduate financial aid office for confirmation.
Proggle
I am analyzing my payment options for my last year of college and I just wanted to confirm this:

You do not have to make payments for your undergrad Stafford loans if you are enrolled as a full-time student in a PhD program--right? In other words, interest may accumulate, but I would not be required to actually pay anything until I get my graduate degree.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? I'm sure there's someone who took loans as an undergrad and then went to grad school around here...

For my government subsidized loans (including stafford), being in a grad program full time means that the government is required to pay the interest during that time. I believe there is a law passed that requires this, but check with your undergraduate office of financial aid to make sure.

1. What are Stafford loans?

Stafford loans are a type of federal student loan offered by the U.S. Department of Education to help students pay for their college education. They are also known as Direct Loans and are available to both undergraduate and graduate students.

2. Who is eligible for Stafford loans?

To be eligible for Stafford loans, you must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen, enrolled in an eligible college or university, and enrolled at least half-time in a degree or certificate program. You must also meet certain financial need requirements.

3. How much can I borrow with a Stafford loan?

The amount you can borrow with a Stafford loan depends on your year in school, your dependency status, and your financial need. The maximum amount for undergraduate students ranges from $5,500 to $12,500 per year, while graduate students can borrow up to $20,500 per year.

4. What is the interest rate for Stafford loans?

The interest rate for Stafford loans is fixed and determined by the government each year. For loans disbursed between July 1, 2021 and June 30, 2022, the interest rate for undergraduate loans is 3.73% and for graduate loans is 5.28%.

5. When do I have to start repaying my Stafford loans?

Repayment for Stafford loans typically begins six months after you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time enrollment. This is known as the grace period. You can choose from several repayment plans, including standard, extended, and income-driven plans.