Quick question about this inequality

• B
  • Thread starter kent davidge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between real numbers A, B, and C. It is asked if A > B and B is approximately equal to C, does that mean A is also approximately equal to C? The answer is no, as demonstrated by the example of 10.5 being approximately equal to 10, but 100 being greater than 10.5. It is then clarified if the symbol used for "similarity" means "approximately equal to" or "congruent to."
kent davidge
For concreteness, let me consider real numbers.

If ##A > B## and ##B \sim C##, does it mean that ##A \sim C##?

If instead ##B = C##, then obviously that wouldn't imply ##A = C##.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I already figured the answer to my question.

Simple case would be: ##10.5 \sim 10## and ##100 > 10.5##. That ##100 \sim 10## is absurd.

So no.

Likes jedishrfu
kent davidge said:
For concreteness, let me consider real numbers.
If ##A > B## and ##B \sim C##, does it mean that ##A \sim C##?
For clarity, does ##B \sim C## mean that B is approximately equal to C? I.e., is ##B \approx C##?
The symbol you used can mean "congruent to" or "similar to," so it wasn't clear to me what you meant.

1. What is an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities using symbols such as <, >, ≤, ≥, or ≠. It indicates that one quantity is greater than, less than, or not equal to the other.

2. How do I solve an inequality?

To solve an inequality, follow the same rules as solving an equation, but remember to flip the inequality sign if you multiply or divide by a negative number. The solution is the range of values that make the inequality true.

3. What is the difference between an inequality and an equation?

An inequality indicates a relationship between two quantities, while an equation shows that two quantities are equal. Inequalities can have multiple solutions, while equations typically have only one solution.

4. Can you graph an inequality?

Yes, inequalities can be graphed on a number line or a coordinate plane. The solution to the inequality is represented by the shaded region on the graph.

5. How can inequalities be used in real life?

Inequalities are used in many real-life situations, such as determining the minimum or maximum amount of a product that can be produced given certain constraints, or finding the range of values for a variable in a scientific experiment. They are also used in economics, engineering, and statistics.