Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick question on IUPAC organic naming

1. May 16, 2016 #1
    IMG_2031.JPG

Hi everyone. I was bashing my head against this compound.

I thought that the correct name for it was 4-ethyl-1-heptanol since apparently the longest parent chain has eight carbons.

Could anyone please advise if my answer is correct, and if not, what I did wrong?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2016 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

If the longest parent chain has eight carbons, it would be octanol. Heptanol suggests seven carbons on the longest parent chain. While there are eight carbons total, the longest chain is six carbons, so the base name would be hexanol.

4. May 16, 2016 #3
    How is that true? I start at the beginning of the line next to the hydroxyl group. The beginning of the line, that point, where it meets the hydroxyl, I count it as one Carbon atom {I need to have C-OH}. Then, I move up through the lines, counting each "bump" as a single atom. I continue on towards the last point of the line towards the top-right.... which would make me count seven points total, not 6

5. May 16, 2016 #4

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

The line next to the hydroxyl group represents a C-O bond with an oxygen atom at one end and a carbon atom at the other end.

6. May 17, 2016 #5
    Ahh ok. Thanks a lot for clearing that up!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted