Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Quick Question on mass/spring system

1. Jul 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 3Kg mass, attached to spring oscillates w/ amplitude of .15m and a period of 2s. At time t= 0.5s the objects position is .019m.

Find the total energy of the system

2. Relevant equations

(.5)mv^2+(.5)kx^2= (.5)kA^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I found the spring constant to be 29.6 N/m... my only question is this... (.5)mv^2+(.5)kx^2
    would give me the answer, as would (.5)kA^2 correct? to get the total energy i just did (.5)(29.6)(.15)^2 = .333J

Is that correct???

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2008 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Yes it is.

4. Jul 9, 2008 #3
    Thank a bunch rock... i also had one other quick question that i figure ill post here so i dont start another post minutes after this one...

A periodic wave has the equation .15m*sin(10t+(pi)x)

Now i am getting a little bit mixed up about how to determine the direction of the wave... Im going to say this wave is moving in a positive direction because (pi)x is positive... meaning it is going forward... is that correct? So when i rewrite the equation it would be .15m*sin(10t+(pi)(x-vt)) to account for the positive change? Thanks for all of the help guys.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook