Speed of sound in seawater at 25°C

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 26K views
mikefitz
Messages
155
Reaction score
0
Dolphins emit ultrasonic waves with a frequency as high as 5.5 x 10^5Hz. What is the wavelength of such a wave in seawater at 25°C?

i know how to solve this one, all i need is the speed of sound waves in seawater at 25 degrees Celsius. My teacher gave us the speed in water at 20C which = 1482m/s. I tried using 1482 in my equation, but obviously it didn't work; google offered me little insight. Do any of you know the velocity I'm looking for? Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a formula I can use to calculate the speed of sound in various liquids/materials?
 
Update: Here is my work for this problem;

f=5.5x10^5 Hz
Vsound in seawater=1560m/s

wavelength=v/f
=> 1560/5.5x10^5 = .0028364m
=> 2.835mm

Is this correct?
 
It looks right. of interest, have you ever heard of the sound channel? It exists in the ocean, it is a zone of low velocity bounded vertically by water of higher velocity. By refraction (Snell's law) sound does not escape the channel and can travel great distances without attenuating. Whales communicate via the sound channel as did humans in submarines back in the old days.
 
hmm, this one is bumming me out because I attempt to enter my calculated value into the online homework submission and I'm told my answer is incorrect. Everything looks correct doesn't it?
 
I know this is kind of late, but the speed of sound in seawater at 25 deg. C is 1533 m/s for anyone else who needs it. I hate when you have to do those online homeworks and you might not have these values to solve them ('cuz you didn't want to buy a $200 book for no reason)!