Calculating Wavelength in a Medium with Different Speed of Sound

  • Thread starter Thread starter Deebu R
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Wavelength
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Deebu R
Messages
67
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Ultrasonic waves of frequency 3 x 10^5 Hz are passing through a medium where speed I found is 10 times that in air ( speed of sound in air is 300m/s). The wavelength of this wave in the medium will be in the order of?

Homework Equations


Wavelength = wave speed/ frequency...maybe

The Attempt at a Solution


Using the equation I got 300 x 10/(3 x 10^5)=0.01[/B]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Is there a question you need help with here ?

I don't want to be corny, but: is that in inches, miles or in furlongs :smile:?
 
I am guessing meters so in cm it becomes 1 cm, right?
 
Of course. It's just that I wanted to emphasize to you that you should always include units.

(also in calculations: 300 m/s x 10/(3 x 10^5 /s ) = 0.01 m -- the factor 10 is a ratio, no dimension)
 
BvU said:
Of course. It's just that I wanted to emphasize to you that you should always include units.

(also in calculations: 300 m/s x 10/(3 x 10^5 /s ) = 0.01 m -- the factor 10 is a ratio, no dimension)
I was just making sure. Thank you for the help.