Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quiting my job. Tell the truth or lie?

1. Aug 22, 2006 #1
    I'm quiting because I dislike their engineering methods and organization. The company is so disoganized.

If you're the president of the company that i'm working for, would you appreciate me telling you the truth of why i'm quiting?

Would you tell the truth or tell a white lie?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2006 #2
    Always tell the truth, sometimes it might be difficult or uncomfortable but it will never be as bad as being caught out in a lie. Besides the truth is always easier to remember; liars get caught because their stories vary.

4. Aug 22, 2006 #3
    Self preservation!

Do what you think is the correct course of action. If your President is a powerful man in YOUR industry, do you really want to piss him off? criticising the company you work for, on the way out, is typically not the best thing to do, nor is it very professional. In this scenario there is no need to lie either, withholding information is not lying

5. Aug 22, 2006 #4
    Absolutely. They'll want to make money off your leaving.

If they're below average intelligence, they'll try to make you do an exit survey. Of course, if they are above average, they should have already had a conversation with you about your views on quality improvement, both for the obvious reason and to retain you.

If you don't have any other problems with the company, and you like working there, except for this issue, then you may not have to quit. Talk to your boss about improvements. If they will not listen, move over their head to their boss. If they won't listen, move to their boss, and so on, until no one else listens.

Then that will be the perfect opportunity for you to respectfully tell them you'd rather work for someone who will listen. :smile:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  6. Aug 22, 2006 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

If you live in the US, you most likely signed a statement saying that you, or your employer, can terminate your employment at any time, for any reason. You do not have to state a reason if you so choose. That is up to you. If you do provide a reason, it is best to be precise and to the point. Most of all, be professional. Do not burn any bridges. If you present your situation in a logical and well thought out manner, you may keep your job and help institute some change. Above all, be professional.

7. Aug 22, 2006 #6

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'd find a tactful, positive way to tell the truth. Most managers are always open to positive suggestions that are backed up with proof. Taking your exit as a chance to vent personal frustrations and to trash the individuals you work for or with usually closes off any chance of a person actually listening to you.

8. Aug 22, 2006 #7
    To me it depends on if you want a good refrence.

9. Aug 22, 2006 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

If you care enough about what they're doing that you want them to know, why not decouple the criticsim from the quitting?

Tell them what you think. Use it as an opportunity to become known (in a positive way). Maybe they'll change.

On the other hand, if you're going to quit anyway, you're abandoning the team - they're not going to be interested in the opinion of someone who's given up on them. Since they still believe in their company - and you don't - that makes your opinions suspect of lack of objectivity.

10. Aug 22, 2006 #9

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Along the lines of Fred, Bob and Dave, I have to wonder if you have attempted to make recommendations for improvement previously, and were ignored. I wonder why one hired on with the company in the first place. Why not give the company a chance to change/improve?

As a manager, I'd want some feedback on the operation of the company.

Some managers don't.

I left the previous company, and while I told my manager and another my reasons, I didn't tell the VP because something he did behind my back was part of the reason I was leaving. Also, the HR and higher level managers didn't even bother to find out why I was leaving. I recently found out that a higher level manager was pretty upset I left, but no one from the corporate office bothered to ask me. Fortunately I had two offers when I left the previous company - instead they talked to the VP.

I didn't burn bridges, and I may actually hire the VP, who has since retired (he was forced out), for a project. :rolleyes:

11. Aug 22, 2006 #10
    find a new job before you quit is my only advice, and quit diplomatically.

12. Aug 22, 2006 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Would you consider returning if they fixed the problems that are the reason you're leaving? Do you think it's fixable? If so, tell them as tactfully as possible. Maybe they will take your advice and if it works out, give you a ring to see if you want your old job back, and if they take it the wrong way or don't do anything about it, you don't want to go back anyway. If you really have no intention of ever returning, then there's not much use in bothering. Don't lie, but don't go into great detail.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?