Quitting My Addiction: How I Got Over My "!" Obsession
- Thread starter Lisa!
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
52 replies · 6K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Lisa!
Gold Member
- 672
- 96
You're talking baout yourself or him?Moonbear said:Nope, that's why loseyourname is still asking questions trying to figure out what you mean.
), but I meant whether my explanations have helped at all?
JamesU
Gold Member
- 828
- 3
this is exactly why PF needs a voice conversation feature.Lisa! said:I wish I could!You know my voice is sarcastic, but some people can't understand it and take it serious. I mean some people think I really agree with some stupid comments. They think I agree with them because they agree with them themselves not because I look stupid.
By the way, has my explanations helped you to understand why I use ! a lot or not?
For example why I used ! at "The lack of Danger" thread?
Lisa!
Gold Member
- 672
- 96
Do you think we can hear anything when lots of people are talking or shouting at each other?yomamma said:this is exactly why PF needs a voice conversation feature.
JamesU
Gold Member
- 828
- 3
what I mean is like a chat room with a voice feature, for people who are smart enough to have a mic for their PC. and then we can have video conversation!
Lisa!
Gold Member
- 672
- 96
Smart enough?yomamma said:what I mean is like a chat room with a voice feature, for people who are smart enough to have a mic for their PC. and then we can have video conversation!
loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
- 1,840
- 5
Lisa! said:I wish I could!You know my voice is sarcastic, but some people can't understand it and take it serious.
There are people that take you seriously?
By the way, has my explanations helped you to understand why I use ! a lot or not? For example why I used ! at "The lack of Danger" thread?
I'm still not too sure. You began by saying you started to use them as part of some inside-joke thingy or what not, and then became addicted. Now you're saying that it is an extension of your natural sarcasm. Perhaps an attempt to ensure that people don't take what you say too seriously? Is that what you mean?
Lisa!
Gold Member
- 672
- 96
Yes, people who don't know me good enough.loseyourname said:There are people that take you seriously?
I'm still not too sure. You began by saying you started to use them as part of some inside-joke thingy or what not, and then became addicted. Now you're saying that it is an extension of your natural sarcasm. Perhaps an attempt to ensure that people don't take what you say too seriously? Is that what you mean?[/QUOTE]
I admit that I use it sometimes as inside-joke thing but not in this site. In another site I always put ! instead of ".". But I told you why I said I got addicted to it.
I don't agree about all of what you said but well you can put it this way, because it could be true somehow.
loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
- 1,840
- 5
I think I'm starting to understand. Let me see if I can phrase this more clearly. I get the impression that at some in the past, when you were not using exclamation points at the end of every sentence, people became upset at certain things you said. You didn't mean any harm, but they were taking you too seriously, not realizing that you often spoke lightheartedly or even in jest. To remedy this, you began to use exclamation points at the end of your sentences to demonstrate that there should be no heavy weight attached to them. Is that about accurate?
Note: This does not necessarily have to have been taking place on the internet. It is entirely possible that you say sarcastic or lighthearted things in person as well, and people are often offended when they take it the wrong way.
Note: This does not necessarily have to have been taking place on the internet. It is entirely possible that you say sarcastic or lighthearted things in person as well, and people are often offended when they take it the wrong way.
Lisa!
Gold Member
- 672
- 96
Well done. You get one of my main points. I mean I explained other cases which don't apply to what you said.loseyourname said:I think I'm starting to understand. Let me see if I can phrase this more clearly. I get the impression that at some in the past, when you were not using exclamation points at the end of every sentence, people became upset at certain things you said. You didn't mean any harm, but they were taking you too seriously, not realizing that you often spoke lightheartedly or even in jest. To remedy this, you began to use exclamation points at the end of your sentences to demonstrate that there should be no heavy weight attached to them. Is that about accurate?
Note: This does not necessarily have to have been taking place on the internet. It is entirely possible that you say sarcastic or lighthearted things in person as well, and people are often offended when they take it the wrong way.
Science Advisor
- 365
- 88
If you're going to have to deal with this addiction to ! for your entire life, you need a mentor to help you!
I'd recommend Dayle Record! While she doesn't have any particular fondness for !, she has raised the , to a level of art unattainable by even Charles Shulz, the master of artistic punctuation himself! Dayle has made, in spite of the, generally, gramatically inhibited community here, the , the penultimate, non-pareil, absolutely awsometastic, favorite punctuation mark, used by the majority, or at least the core, of PF addicts at least once, or twice, or maybe even three times or more, and sometimes even thirty-eight times in one post!, in almost all of the replies, ruminations, and brilliant thoughts disgorged, expelled, and spewed by their fast, and furiously flying, fingers. Long time members still recall, with a profound awe, at that, the time Dayle was able to use the , as a verb, noun, adjective, and adverb in a single sentence, a feat more remarkable in the fact that she didn't use the , as a punctuation mark even once!
Oh, no! MIH was wrong! There is an evil Bob!
I'd recommend Dayle Record! While she doesn't have any particular fondness for !, she has raised the , to a level of art unattainable by even Charles Shulz, the master of artistic punctuation himself! Dayle has made, in spite of the, generally, gramatically inhibited community here, the , the penultimate, non-pareil, absolutely awsometastic, favorite punctuation mark, used by the majority, or at least the core, of PF addicts at least once, or twice, or maybe even three times or more, and sometimes even thirty-eight times in one post!, in almost all of the replies, ruminations, and brilliant thoughts disgorged, expelled, and spewed by their fast, and furiously flying, fingers. Long time members still recall, with a profound awe, at that, the time Dayle was able to use the , as a verb, noun, adjective, and adverb in a single sentence, a feat more remarkable in the fact that she didn't use the , as a punctuation mark even once!
Oh, no! MIH was wrong! There is an evil Bob!
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,663
- 37
Careful - we may have to strip you of your Bob moniker.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,663
- 37
I like the way you think, sis.Moonbear said:Can't we just strip him?![]()

Lisa!
Gold Member
- 672
- 96
BobG, thanks because of !
Hey Look Moonbear is visible again
I was really tired of invisible Moonbear.
You're an
(did you like this idea? I use or
instead of !
which one is better or
?)
Hey Look Moonbear is visible again
I was really tired of invisible Moonbear.
You're an
(did you like this idea? I use or
instead of ! which one is better or
?)
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
Lisa! said:BobG, thanks because of !![]()
Hey Look Moonbear is visible againI was really tired of invisible Moonbear.
![]()
You're an(did you like this idea? I use or
instead of !
which one is better or?)
Okay, okay, you can use exclamation points!
JamesU
Gold Member
- 828
- 3
! moonbear's visible! must...print...screen!
Lisa!
Gold Member
- 672
- 96
Good. I was afraid that you'd say it was a good idea. Then what would happen to my username?Moonbear said:Okay, okay, you can use exclamation points!![]()
Lisa or Lisa
(I prefer Lisa
)
honestrosewater
Gold Member
- 2,133
- 6
Don't worry, Lisa! I think I'm developing an addiction to the semicolon; It's more than a comma but not quite a period; It really keeps things flowing. :!)
I say embrace your eccentricity; I don't want to be alone!
I say embrace your eccentricity; I don't want to be alone!
Lisa!
Gold Member
- 672
- 96
Is there any relation btw age and these addictions!?honestrosewater said:Don't worry, Lisa! I think I'm developing an addiction to the semicolon; It's more than a comma but not quite a period; It really keeps things flowing. :!)
I say embrace your eccentricity; I don't want to be alone!
honestrosewater
Gold Member
- 2,133
- 6
I'll have to consult my Magic 8-Ball... YES![/color] Well, that settles that.Lisa! said:Is there any relation btw age and these addictions!?![]()
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
honestrosewater said:I'll have to consult my Magic 8-Ball... YES![/color] Well, that settles that.
I recently noticed a Magic 8-ball on my lab head's desk. His secretary got it for him to help with those "important" administrative decisions.
Similar threads
Medical How Can I Stop My Obsessive Compulsive Behaviors?
- Noxide
- · Replies 10 ·
- Biology and Medical
- Replies
- 10
Engineering I’m having second thoughts about my job position. How can I proceed with it?
- thegreengineer
- · Replies 13 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 13
I wasted 3 years of my uni life on unproductive and useless things
- shivajikobardan
- · Replies 32 ·
- STEM Academic Advising
- Replies
- 32
What can I do with my BS in physics?
- quarkycharmed
- · Replies 3 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 3
Schools I got kicked out of my University. Do I still have a chance at Grad school?
- annoyinggirl
- · Replies 37 ·
- STEM Academic Advising
- Replies
- 37
How Can I Improve My REU Personal Statement?
- leandrofosque
- · Replies 5 ·
- STEM Academic Advising
- Replies
- 5
Should I have majored in physics or astronomy instead of my current science degree?
- Ilikecereal
- · Replies 2 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 2
Advice how to up my scientific computing with I-pad and otherwise.
- epenguin
- · Replies 9 ·
- MATLAB, Maple, Mathematica, LaTeX
- Replies
- 9
How can I improve my performance in Physics II?
- EconMajor#1
- · Replies 8 ·
- STEM Academic Advising
- Replies
- 8
I feel like my passion for science is gone. IDK how to get it back.
- wotanub
- · Replies 15 ·
- Other Physics Topics
- Replies
- 15