Quotations and ads overlapping

• Thread starter jostpuur
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with overlapping quotations and ads on a thread page. The issue is resolved when the user logs in, but it is uncertain if this is intended or not. The user is asked to provide a screenshot and information about their operating system and browser. It is suggested that the issue may be related to using the Firefox beta version.
jostpuur
When the opening post, or some other post that happens to be a first post of some page of a thread, contains quotations, the quotations overlap badly with the ads. Am I the only one having this problem? The problem vanishes when I log in, because the ads go away from opening posts then, though. But I might guess that they are not supposed to overlap. I cannot read the quotations without logging in.

Physics news on Phys.org
can you provide a screenshot and let me know what OS and browser you are using?

http://hoas-fe3fdd00-173.dhcp.inet.fi:1132/Screenshot-quote-ads.png

Ubuntu Linux, Firefox

Last edited by a moderator:
jostpuur said:
http://hoas-fe3fdd00-173.dhcp.inet.fi:1132/Screenshot-quote-ads.png

Ubuntu Linux, Firefox

hmm are you using the firefox beta? When I view with firefox 2 on windows everything looks ok, the quote stops at the ads.

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
hmm are you using the firefox beta?

It could be. I'm not sure. This is version 3.0. It's the same thing as beta currently?

jostpuur said:
It could be. I'm not sure. This is version 3.0. It's the same thing as beta currently?

yeah, I'll download it and test

What is the meaning of "quotations and ads overlapping"?

"Quotations and ads overlapping" refers to the situation where quotes or phrases from a particular source are used in advertisements without proper attribution or permission from the source. This can result in copyright infringement and legal issues for both the advertiser and the source.

Why is it important to properly attribute quotations in ads?

Properly attributing quotations in ads is important because it respects the intellectual property rights of the original source. It also helps to avoid any potential legal issues and maintains ethical standards in advertising.

What are some examples of "quotations and ads overlapping"?

Examples of "quotations and ads overlapping" include using a famous quote from a book or movie in an advertisement without giving credit to the original source, or using a phrase from a famous speech without permission from the speaker.

How can "quotations and ads overlapping" be avoided?

"Quotations and ads overlapping" can be avoided by obtaining permission from the original source before using their words in an advertisement. It is also important to properly attribute the source in the ad, either through a direct quote or by mentioning the source in the ad's credits.

What are the potential consequences of "quotations and ads overlapping"?

The potential consequences of "quotations and ads overlapping" include legal action from the original source, damage to the reputation of the advertiser, and financial penalties. It can also lead to mistrust and backlash from the public if they perceive the ad as being misleading or unethical.