Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quote by Bertrand Russell on Probability

1. Jun 24, 2008 #1
    I recently looked at a paper (a pdf of a scan of a paper from the 1960's, or there abouts) that discussed the development of probability. The paper began with a quote attributed to Bertrand Russell (in 1926-1927) that went along the lines
    "Probability is amongst the most important science, not least because no one understands it".

Has anyone else come across this quote, and if so, do you know its origins/reference.

Thanks,

tim

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2008 #2
    Hello. That sounds like an interesting quote. I know in An Outline of Philosophy he has a statement on probability that seems to question it. He has also said, I believe, "How dare we speak of the laws of chance? Is not chance the antithesis of all law?"

He seems to have attacked the concept a few times in some of his philosophical works, and that quote might be in contrast to his beliefs. So if you find the source, I'd be interested in seeing it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?