Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quotient groups of permutations

1. May 4, 2012 #1
    hey guys,

I just want grasp the whole concept of quotient groups,

I understand say, D8/K where K={1,a2}

I can see the quotient group pretty clearly without much trouble however I start to get stuck when working with larger groups, say S4

For instance S4/L where L is the set of (xx)(xx) elements of S4 including e,

Without going through and doing all the calculations I know that the order of the quotient group will be 6, however I can't see what the group will be,

L is a normal subgroup of S4 since each element in L contains its conjugate so left and right cosets equal.

I first thought the quotient group would be something like

{1,(xx)L,(xx)(xx)L,(xxx)L,(xxxx)L,?} (different length cycles x L) but there are only 5 different length cycles.

Is there a way to find these quotient groups without having to multiply L but every element of S4?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2012 #2

We can try the following approach: in the quotient group [itex]\,\,S_4/L\,\,[/itex] , with [itex]L:=\{(1),\, (12)(34),\, (13)(24),\, (14)(23)\}\,\,[/itex] , we have

that [itex]\,\,(12)L\neq (123)L\,\,[/itex] , since [itex]\,\,(12)(123)^{-1}=(12)(132)=(13)\notin L[/itex] .

Thus, by Lagrange's theorem the group [itex]\,\,S_4/L\,\,[/itex] has order 6 and by the above it isn't abelian, thus it is isomorphic with...

DonAntonio

4. May 4, 2012 #3
    Sorry I don't follow,

Doesn't having (12)L ≠ (123)L just mean there two elements of S4/L and the rest shows (13)L≠L, but (13)L could equal (some other permuation in S4)L,

Is there no way to find all the elements of S4/L without doing gL for all gεS4 and finding which ones are equal, that would give 24 cosets and 18 of the cosets would have to be duplicates of the remaining 6 to give an order 6 group right?

I could give a guess, is it isomorphic to D6?

I was just kind of hoping there was a fast way to find quotient groups, without, in this case, having to multiply L by 24 permutations and find which of these cosets are equal

edit

oh i think i worked it out,

start with (12)L

then you get {(12),(34),( 1 4 2 3 ),( 1 3 2 4 )}

(12)(13)(24) = (1423), so (13)(24)=(12)(1423) then (13)(24)(1423)=(12)

so (13)(24)(1324) = (12)

and its a normal subgroup so left and right cosets are equal so (12)L = (1324)L

similar argument you can get (12)L=(1423)L=(34)L

so you find 4 cosets in one, so you'll only have to do 6 calculations to find the quotient group

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  5. May 5, 2012 #4

Ok, perhaps I wasn't clear enough. What I thought is that you'd check the elements [itex]\,\,(12)(123)L\,\,,\,\,(123)(12)L\,\,[/itex] and reached the

(correct, even) conclusion that they're different, thus making the quotient a non-abelian group without checking all the different 24 products, or even close.

And yes, the quotient is isomorphic with [itex]\,\,D_6\cong S_3\,\,[/itex] , though (the most common notation is the second one), and the

more usual name for the dihedral group of order 2n is [itex]\,\,D_n\,\,,\,\,not\,\,D_{2n}[/itex]

DonAntonio

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook