Quotient Rings .... Remarks by Adkins and Weintraub ....

In summary: Especially when I started to get my shit together to get a point on the map, I got a lot of attention. And I had to learn that often the people who approached me with a broken wing, were exactly the ones who would cause you trouble. Those who were fine with themselves, they didn't need help. That's the point, where I am now, and therefore I am glad, that I am almost invisible. In summary, The authors, Adkins and Weintraub, discuss quotient rings in Chapter 2 of their book "Algebra: An Approach via Module Theory". They point out that the definition of quotient rings is independent of the choice of coset representatives, as long as those representatives are elements of the ideal.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading "Algebra: An Approach via Module Theory" by William A. Adkins and Steven H. Weintraub ...

I am currently focused on Chapter 2: Rings ...

I need help with fully understanding some remarks by Adkins and Weintraub on quotient rings on page 59 in Chapter 2 ...

The remarks by Adkins and Weintraub on quotient rings read as follows:
A&W - Remarks on Quotient Rings, page 59, Ch. 2 ... .png

In the above text from A&W we read the following:

" ... ... All that needs to be checked is that this definition is independent of the choice of coset representatives. To see this suppose ##r + I = r' + I## and ##s + I = s' + I##. Then ##r' = r + a## and ##s' = s + b## where ##a,b \in I##. ... ... ... "Can someone please (fully) explain how/why it is that ##r + I = r' + I## and ##s + I = s' + I## imply that ##r' = r + a## and ##s' = s + b## where ##a,b \in I## ... ... ?
Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

Attachments

• A&W - Remarks on Quotient Rings, page 59, Ch. 2 ... .png
    A&W - Remarks on Quotient Rings, page 59, Ch. 2 ... .png
    56.1 KB · Views: 574
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

you can handle them as usual additions: ##r+I=r'+I \Longleftrightarrow r-r'+I = I \Longleftrightarrow a:= r-r' \in I##. If you like you can write those cosets as
$$
r+I = r+ \{i\,\vert \,i \in I\} = \{r+i\,\vert \,i\in I\} \text{ and so } r'+I = r+I \Longleftrightarrow \{r'+i\,\vert \,i\in I\} = \{r+i\,\vert \,i\in I\}
$$
which means a certain ##r'+i## must be of the form ##r+j## and with ##r'+i=r+j## we have ##r'-r =j-i \in I##. The set notation is a bit inconvenient, so as soon as we know all those rules mentioned in the text, it's easier to treat them like any addition. The only thing, what really has to be considered is well-definition, because the ##r## in ##\{r+i\,\vert \,i\in I\} = [r] = r+I## isn't uniquely defined as it can differ by elements of ##I##.

We can consider ##[g] = g\cdot U \in G/U## for any subgroup ##U## of a (here multiplicative) group ##G##, but if and only if ##U## is also a normal subgroup, we can define a group structure on ##G/U##, for otherwise it won't be well-defined. As ##(R,+)## is an Abelian additive group, all additive subgroups as ##I## are automatically normal.

Likes Math Amateur
Thanks for the help, fresh_42 ...

Reflecting on what you have written ...

Thanks again ...

Peter

You can also do a straight subtraction: ##r'+I=r+I ## then ##r-r' \in I ## so that ## r \~ r'## , so if we have different reps, then the elements are equivalent. Try something similar for the product to show that ##r's' \~ rs ##.

Likes Math Amateur
fresh_42 said:
Hi Peter,

you can handle them as usual additions: ##r+I=r'+I \Longleftrightarrow r-r'+I = I \Longleftrightarrow a:= r-r' \in I##. If you like you can write those cosets as
$$
r+I = r+ \{i\,\vert \,i \in I\} = \{r+i\,\vert \,i\in I\} \text{ and so } r'+I = r+I \Longleftrightarrow \{r'+i\,\vert \,i\in I\} = \{r+i\,\vert \,i\in I\}
$$
which means a certain ##r'+i## must be of the form ##r+j## and with ##r'+i=r+j## we have ##r'-r =j-i \in I##. The set notation is a bit inconvenient, so as soon as we know all those rules mentioned in the text, it's easier to treat them like any addition. The only thing, what really has to be considered is well-definition, because the ##r## in ##\{r+i\,\vert \,i\in I\} = [r] = r+I## isn't uniquely defined as it can differ by elements of ##I##.

We can consider ##[g] = g\cdot U \in G/U## for any subgroup ##U## of a (here multiplicative) group ##G##, but if and only if ##U## is also a normal subgroup, we can define a group structure on ##G/U##, for otherwise it won't be well-defined. As ##(R,+)## is an Abelian additive group, all additive subgroups as ##I## are automatically normal.
But don't you also have to show that multiplication is well-defined?

Likes Math Amateur
In case of the ring, yes, but this is very similar to the method for addition, especially as I suppose the ring to be commutative. Otherwise left and right ideals, and left and right cosets would have be to distinguished.

In case of a group, there is only one operation, which I took to be the multiplication according to the usual notation. My major point was, that for ##U \le G## one has a disjoint union of equal sized cosets ##G/U## but no well defined group structure, i.e. multiplication on it. On the other hand, this can be done exactly if ##U \trianglelefteq G## is normal. I mentioned it, because it carries the insight why normality is needed, plus the information, that ##G/U## itself doesn't require it - as long as we don't want to make it a group. It was meant to fight the wrong reflex: Consider ##G/U \ldots ## - But ##U## isn't a normal subgroup.

Last edited:
Likes Math Amateur
fresh_42 said:
In case of the ring, yes, but this is very similar to the method for addition, especially as I suppose the ring to be commutative. Otherwise left and right ideals, and left and right cosets would have be to distinguished.

In case of a group, there is only one operation, which I took to be the multiplication according to the usual notation. My major point was, that for ##U \le G## one has a disjoint union of equal sized cosets ##G/U## but no well defined group structure, i.e. multiplication on it. On the other hand, this can be done exactly if ##U \trianglelefteq G## is normal. I mentioned it, because it carries the insight why normality is needed, plus the information, that ##G/U## itself doesn't require it - as long as we don't want to make it a group. It was meant to fight the wrong reflex: Consider ##G/U \ldots ## - But ##U## isn't a normal subgroup.
Yes, story of my life, it is what I am usually told " You isn't normal".

Likes Math Amateur
WWGD said:
Yes, story of my life, it is what I am usually told " You isn't normal".
Neither am I, but I can still top that: I've also the strange property, that I seemingly attract especially people, who are definitely even less normal than me: I've looked into so many human abysses, preferably female ones, I should write a book about it.

Likes Math Amateur

1. What is a Quotient Ring?

A quotient ring, also known as a factor ring, is a mathematical structure that is formed by taking a ring and factoring out a subset of its elements. The resulting quotient ring has different properties and may be easier to work with than the original ring.

2. What is the significance of Quotient Rings in mathematics?

Quotient rings are important in mathematics because they allow us to study mathematical structures in a more simplified and structured way. They also have applications in various fields such as algebraic geometry and number theory.

3. How do you find the Quotient Ring of a given ring?

To find the Quotient Ring of a given ring, you need to identify a subset of elements that you want to factor out. This subset is known as an ideal. Then, you can use the quotient ring construction to create a new ring with different properties that is isomorphic to the original ring modulo the ideal.

4. What are the main differences between Quotient Rings and Subrings?

While both quotient rings and subrings are subsets of a larger ring, they differ in the way they are constructed. Subrings are formed by taking a subset of the original ring and finding a ring structure within it. Quotient rings, on the other hand, are formed by factoring out a subset of elements from the original ring. Additionally, quotient rings have different algebraic properties than subrings.

5. Can Quotient Rings be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, quotient rings have many applications in real-world problems. For example, in cryptography, quotient rings are used in the construction of finite fields, which are essential in creating secure encryption algorithms. They are also used in engineering, physics, and other fields to model and solve various problems.