Finite Integral Domains .... Adkins & Weintraub, Proposition 1.5 ....

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding Proposition 1.5 in the book "Algebra: An Approach via Module Theory" by William A. Adkins and Steven H. Weintraub. The question is about how the conclusion that "the equation ax = 1 is solvable for every a \neq 0 and R is a field" follows from the arguments preceding it. The answer explains that this conclusion is a result of the fact that in an integral domain with $n$ elements, the $n$ elements $ax_1,\ldots,ax_n$ are all distinct, and as such, one of these elements must be equal to $1$, making $ax_i=1$ and $x
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading "Algebra: An Approach via Module Theory" by William A. Adkins and Steven H. Weintraub ...

I am currently focused on Chapter 2: Rings ...

I need help with an aspect of the proof of Proposition 1.5 ... ...

Proposition 1.5 and its proof read as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/7924
At the end of the above proof from Adkins and Weintraub we read the following:

" ... ... and hence \(\displaystyle \phi_a (R) = R\). In particular, the equation \(\displaystyle ax = 1\) is solvable for every \(\displaystyle a \neq 0\) and \(\displaystyle R\) is a field. ... ... "
Can someone please explain to me how the conclusion that "the equation \(\displaystyle ax = 1\) is solvable for every \(\displaystyle a \neq 0\) and \(\displaystyle R\) is a field" follows from the arguments preceding it ...

Basically I do not understand how the arguments before this statement lead to the conclusion ...Help will be much appreciated ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

Assume that $R$ contains $n$ elements. If $R$ is an integral domain and $a\ne0$, the $n$ elements $ax_1,\ldots,ax_n$ are all distinct.

As $|R|=n$, these elements are just the elements of $R$ in a different order; in particular, one of these elements is equal to $1$.

Now, $ax_i=1$ means that $x_i$ is a multiplicative inverse of $a$; as such an inverse exists for each $a\ne0$, $R$ is a field.

castor28 said:
Hi Peter,

Assume that $R$ contains $n$ elements. If $R$ is an integral domain and $a\ne0$, the $n$ elements $ax_1,\ldots,ax_n$ are all distinct.

As $|R|=n$, these elements are just the elements of $R$ in a different order; in particular, one of these elements is equal to $1$.

Now, $ax_i=1$ means that $x_i$ is a multiplicative inverse of $a$; as such an inverse exists for each $a\ne0$, $R$ is a field.
Thanks castor28 ...

Most helpful ...

Peter

What is a finite integral domain?

A finite integral domain is a commutative ring with unity, where every non-zero element is a unit. It has a finite number of elements and follows the properties of a ring, including closure under addition and multiplication, associativity, commutativity, and distributivity.

What is Adkins & Weintraub, Proposition 1.5?

Adkins & Weintraub, Proposition 1.5 is a theorem in abstract algebra that states if R is an integral domain with a finite number of elements, then R is a field. This means that every non-zero element in R has a multiplicative inverse, making R a division ring.

What is the significance of finite integral domains?

Finite integral domains have many applications in various fields of mathematics, including coding theory, cryptography, and algebraic geometry. They also provide a framework for studying more complex structures, such as finite fields and Galois theory.

How do finite integral domains differ from infinite integral domains?

The main difference between finite and infinite integral domains is the number of elements they contain. While finite integral domains have a finite number of elements, infinite integral domains have an infinite number of elements. This leads to different properties and structures, such as the existence of prime elements in infinite integral domains.

What is the relationship between finite integral domains and polynomials?

Finite integral domains are closely related to polynomials, as they can be used to construct finite fields through polynomial rings. The coefficients of a polynomial in a finite integral domain must also be elements of that domain, making it a useful tool in studying polynomial properties and factorization in finite fields.