Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quotient set of equivalence class in de Rham cohomology

1. Jun 5, 2012 #1
    Hi all,

So the equivalence class [itex]X/\sim[/itex] is the set of all equivalences classes [itex][x][/itex]. I was wondering if there was a way of writing it in terms of the usual quotient operation:
    [tex]G/N=\{gN\ |\ g\in G\}?[/tex]

From what I've read, it would be something like [itex]X/\sim = X/[e][/itex]. But, since I'm looking at the de Rham cohomology group [itex]H^k = \{ closed\ k\ forms\}/\sim[/itex] so
    [tex]H^k = \{ closed\ k\ forms\}/[0] = \{ \omega [0]\ |\ \omega\ is\ a\ closed\ form\}[/tex]
    doesn't work, as the the operation [itex]\omega [0][/itex] doesn't seem to make sense.

It's also defined [itex]H^k = Z^k/B^k[/itex] if you're familiar with that notation.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2012 #2
    Ideas anyone?

4. Jun 13, 2012 #3
    Quotients of vector spaces can be written E/F = {x+F | x∈E} as the group law involved in such quotients is the law of vector addition.
    Any problem ?

5. Jun 13, 2012 #4
    Yes, still a problem. First, [itex]B^k = [0] [/itex], which I should have mentioned before. Second, by your definition
    [tex] H^k = Z^k/B^k = \{z + B^k\ |\ z\in Z^k\} [/tex]

But this appears to me to include no information about the equivalence relation [itex]\sim[/itex], which states that [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]v[/itex] are equivalent if there exists some [itex]w[/itex] such that [itex]u - v = dw[/itex].

Ok, but since each equivalence class can be defined by its specific [itex]dw[/itex] (and [itex]d[/itex] is a unique (one-to-one???) map) then it is defined by its [itex]w[/itex]. Hence it makes more sense that
    [tex] H^k = Z^k/B^k = \{z - B^k\ |\ z\in Z^k\}. [/tex]

If [itex]z - b = dw[/itex], then [itex]z= d(w+a)[/itex] since [itex]b=da \in B^k[/itex], which also implies that [itex]z\in B^k[/itex]. But what if there is no [itex]w[/itex] such that [itex]z-b = dw[/itex]? How does this give the rest of the equivalence classes?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook