1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

R=2^\alepha 0 vs Continuum hypothesis! A result in a taste of topology

1. Jan 24, 2009 #1
    R=2^\alepha 0 vs Continuum hypothesis! A result in "a taste of topology"

A year ago or so I read a proof in A Taste Of Topology, Runde that the cardinality of the continuum equals the cardinality of the powerset of the natural numbers. But a few hours ago I found Hurkyl making that statement [tex]|\mathbb{R}| = |\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{N})|[/tex] is undecidable in ZFC, I almost put in this proof but I realized this is the continuum hypothesis (would have been embarrassing!), so there must be something wrong, either in the proof of Runde or a misunderstanding (on by behalf) of the statement! Interestingly though, of all the reviews written on the book, there isn't a single mention of that statement!

Proposition [tex]c = 2^{\aleph_0}[/tex].
    Here [tex]\aleph_0[/tex] denotes the cardinality of [tex]\mathbf{N}[/tex] and [tex]c[/tex] the cardinality of [tex]R[/tex]
    The proof uses Cantor-Bernstein theorem, basically if [tex]2^{\aleph_0} \leq c[/tex] and [tex]2^{\aleph_0} \geq c[/tex] holds then [tex]2^{\aleph_0} = c[/tex]

Direction: [tex]2^{\aleph_0} \leq c[/tex].

Given [tex]S \subset N[/tex], define [tex](\sigma_{n}(S))^{\infty}_{n=1}[/tex] by letting [tex]\sigma_{n}(S) = 1[/tex] if [tex]n \in S[/tex] and [tex]\sigma_{n}(S) = 2[/tex] if [tex]n \notin S[/tex], and let [tex]r(S) := \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\sigma_{n}(S)}{10^n}}[/tex]
    Then [tex]P(\mathbf{N}) \rightarrow (0,1)[/tex] defined by [tex]S \rightarrow r(S)[/tex] is injective

Direction: [tex]2^{\aleph_0} \geq c[/tex]

For the converse inequality, we use the fact that every [tex]r \in (0, 1)[/tex] not only has a decimal expansion, but also a binary one: [tex]r := \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\sigma_{n}(r)}{2^n}}[/tex] with [tex]\sigma_{n}(r) \in \{0,1\}[/tex] for [tex]n \in \mathbf{N}[/tex].
    Hence, every number in [tex](0, 1)[/tex] can be represented by a string of zeros and ones.
    This representation, however, is not unique: for example, both 1000 ... and 0111 ... represent the number [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex].
    This, however, is the only way ambiguity can occur. Hence, whenever [tex]r \in (0,1)[/tex] has a period [tex]\overline{1}[/tex], we convene to pick its nonperiodic binary expansion. In this fashion, we assign, to each [tex]r \in (0, 1)[/tex], a unique sequence [tex](\sigma_{n}(r))^{\infty}_{n}=1[/tex] in [tex]\{0, 1\}[/tex].

The map [tex](0, 1) \rightarrow P(N)[/tex], [tex]r \rightarrow \{n \in N : \sigma_{n}(r) = 1\}[/tex] is then injective.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: R=2^\alepha 0 vs Continuum hypothesis! A result in "a taste of topology"

I think by definition of the cardinal numbers [itex]\aleph_n[/itex], [itex]|\mathbb{R}| = |\mathcal P(\mathbb{N})|[/itex]; the continuum hypothesis just asks whether there exists a set A such that |A| lies strictly between those (equivalently, whether [itex]2^{\aleph_0} = \aleph_1[/itex]).

4. Jan 24, 2009 #3
    Re: R=2^\alepha 0 vs Continuum hypothesis! A result in "a taste of topology"

That would make perfect sense then. I think I was in a hurry comparing the result to the continuum hypothesis. So in other words, that would make the function Hurkyl defined in https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2046993&postcount=7 decidable and f(0)=1!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?