R is disconnected with the subspace topology

In summary, the author considers that ##\mathbb{R} = \lim_{\delta n \longrightarrow 0 } (-\infty, n] \cup [n+\delta n, \infty)## and of course the intersection of these two open sets is empty. They want to show that ##\mathbb{R}## is disconnected with the subspace topology. They considered that ##\mathbb{R} = \lim_{\delta n \longrightarrow 0 } (-\infty, n] \cup [n+\delta n, \infty)## and of course the intersection of these two open sets is empty. They are not sure about
kent davidge
I want to show that ##\mathbb{R}## is disconnected with the subspace topology. For this I considered that ##\mathbb{R} = \lim_{\delta n \longrightarrow 0 } (-\infty, n] \cup [n+\delta n, \infty)## and of course the intersection of these two open sets is empty.

What I'm not sure is about the usage of limit here. Is this ok? I personally think it's ok, because I'm using limit only for saying that ##\delta n > 0## but that ##n+\delta n## should be the closest possible real number of ##n##...

Physics news on Phys.org
kent davidge said:
I want to show that ##\mathbb{R}## is disconnected with the subspace topology.
Of what? Where did you find this idea? ##\mathbb{R}## is a straight line, why should it be disconnected?
For this I considered that ##\mathbb{R} = \lim_{\delta n \longrightarrow 0 } (-\infty, n] \cup [n+\delta n, \infty)## and of course the intersection of these two open sets is empty.
And doesn't cover ##\mathbb{R}##, aren't open sets, and should better be something like ##\bigcup_k[n+\frac{1}{k}, \ldots )##
What I'm not sure is about the usage of limit here. Is this ok?
No. It doesn't make sense. You need open sets.

fresh_42 said:
Of what? Where did you find this idea?
I mean the subspace topology obtained by the intersection of ##\mathbb{R}## with its own usual euclidean topology. Are'nt sets like those in post #1 open in such topology? And the idea I got by wondering about.
fresh_42 said:
And doesn't cover ##\mathbb{R}##
I thought it did if we consider ##n+ \delta n## as the closest neighboor of ##n##.

Or... to give the sets a better look than those in post #1... ##\mathbb{R} = (-\infty,n) \cup [n, \infty)##... intersection is empty...

kent davidge said:
I mean the subspace topology obtained by the intersection of ##\mathbb{R}## with its own usual euclidean topology. Are'nt sets like those in post #1 open in such topology? And the idea I got by wondering about.

I thought it did if we consider ##n+ \delta n## as the closest neighboor of ##n##.
I still don't get the point with the subspace. If you consider ##\mathbb{R}## as subspace of itself, why do you use the word subspace then? We can look at it as ##\mathbb{R}\subseteq \mathbb{R}^n\; , \;n\geq 1## and have a subspace topology induced by the one in ##\mathbb{R}^n##. So first we need to define the topology of ##\mathbb{R}^n##. You said the Euclidean topology, so I assume you mean the standard topology induced by the Euclidean metric. In this case, the subspace topology is also just the ordinary topology of ##\mathbb{R}## which comes from the Euclidean metric. Latest here we can forget about the embedding and subspace topologies. Now I would try to prove that ##\mathbb{R}## is connected.

kent davidge said:
Or... to give the sets a better look than those in post #1... ##\mathbb{R} = (-\infty,n) \cup [n, \infty)##... intersection is empty...
And ##[n,\infty)## isn't open.

Like Pop'n Fresh pointed out a space with a subspace topology generated by its own open sets just returns the original space's topology.

1. What is the subspace topology in R?

The subspace topology in R is a topology that is induced by a subset of R. This means that the open sets in the subspace topology are the intersections of open sets in R with the subset. In other words, the subspace topology on a subset A of R is the collection of all subsets of A that can be expressed as the intersection of an open set in R with A.

2. How does a subset A of R become disconnected with the subspace topology?

A subset A of R can become disconnected with the subspace topology if there exists a partition of A into two non-empty open sets. This means that A can be split into two disjoint subsets that are both open in the subspace topology. In other words, A can be broken into two pieces that do not touch each other and are both open in the subspace topology.

3. Can a subset A of R be disconnected with the subspace topology and still be connected with the standard topology?

Yes, it is possible for a subset A of R to be disconnected with the subspace topology and still be connected with the standard topology. This is because the open sets in the subspace topology are a subset of the open sets in the standard topology. So, if A is disconnected with the subspace topology, it means that there exists a partition of A into two non-empty open sets. However, these two open sets may not be disjoint in the standard topology, allowing A to still be connected.

4. What are some real-life examples of subsets of R that are disconnected with the subspace topology?

One example of a subset of R that is disconnected with the subspace topology is the set of rational numbers. This is because the rational numbers can be partitioned into two non-empty open sets - the set of all rational numbers less than a certain value and the set of all rational numbers greater than that same value. Another example is the set of integers, which can be partitioned into the even and odd integers, both of which are open in the subspace topology.

5. How is the concept of "disconnected with the subspace topology" relevant in mathematics?

The concept of "disconnected with the subspace topology" is relevant in mathematics because it helps us understand the structure and properties of different subsets of R. It allows us to classify subsets of R based on their connectivity, and this can have important implications in various areas of mathematics, such as topology and analysis. Additionally, understanding the subspace topology can also help us understand the behavior of functions on these subsets and how they relate to the standard topology on R.