1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Race Car Driver's Average speed

1. Jun 1, 2012 #1
    A race car driver must average 200.0 km/h over the course of a time trial lasting ten laps. If the first nine laps were done at 198.0 km/h , what average speed must be maintained for the last lap?

Avg Speed=Distance traveled/Time

218 km/h, I averaged the first 9 laps at 198 and plugged the speed for the tenth lap in until I got an average speed of 200 km/h

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2012 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

I don't think the answer is 218 km/h, but it is close to that. You can work out the answer using algebra. The key equation is Avg Speed=Distance traveled/Time (which you have got written down). You need to think how to write out the 'Time' in the denominator.

4. Jun 1, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In order to have an average speed of at least 200 kmph, the driver must complete all 10 laps, with a length lf r km, so a total distance of 10r km, in 10r/200= (1/20)r hrs.

If he averaged 198 km/hr for the first 9r km then he must have taken 9r/198= r/22 hrs. How much time does he have left for the tenth lap?

5. Jun 2, 2012 #4
    Okay I got it thanks a lot for the help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook