What are the average speed formulas needed to solve this problem?

In summary: When there is something in a problem that you don't know but think you need, try replacing it with a variable (i.e. an "unknown"). Then proceed to work out what you want using that variable in place of the unknown quantity. If it turns out that you didn't need it after all, it will cancel out (disappear) along the way to your solution. Working with variables and applying the rules of algebra to solve problems is an important skill to master.
Ehsan Abedian

Homework Statement

A car is moving in a road and its average speed is 40 km/h. Then it moves back in that road by 60 km/h speed. What is the average speed of this car? ( The answer is not 50 km/h )

Homework Equations

Average speed= d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't solve this. I get 50 km/h every time. I do this: (60+40)/2
Because I don't have time or distance.

Please Help
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Ehsan Abedian said:

Homework Statement

A car is moving in a road and its average speed is 40 km/h. Then it moves back in that road by 60 km/h speed. What is the average speed of this car? ( The answer is not 50 km/h )

Homework Equations

Average speed= d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't solve this. I get 50 km/h every time. I do this: (60+40)/2
Because I don't have time or distance.
But you know that it goes the same distance for each part of the trip.
Let D = the distance for each leg of the trip.
Calculate the time it takes for the first leg at 40 km/hr.
Calculate the time it takes for the second leg at 60 km/hr.
You now have enough information to calculate the average speed for both legs.

BTW, in future threads, try to come up with a better thread title. "I can't solve this problem" is NOT a good thread title. I changed the title for you to something more informative.

Likes Ehsan Abedian
Mark44 said:
But you know that it goes the same distance for each part of the trip.
Let D = the distance for each leg of the trip.
Calculate the time it takes for the first leg at 40 km/hr.
Calculate the time it takes for the second leg at 60 km/hr.
You now have enough information to calculate the average speed for both legs.

BTW, in future threads, try to come up with a better thread title. "I can't solve this problem" is NOT a good thread title. I changed the title for you to something more informative.

Thanks

But I can't calculate the time. Maybe I don't have enough knowledge.

Can you show me the solution?

Thanks a lot

Ehsan Abedian said:
When there is something in a problem that you don't know but think you need, try replacing it with a variable (i.e. an "unknown"). Then proceed to work out what you want using that variable in place of the unknown quantity. If it turns out that you didn't need it after all, it will cancel out (disappear) along the way to your solution. Working with variables and applying the rules of algebra to solve problems is an important skill to master.

Hint: For this problem, try letting the length of the road be represented by the variable D.

Ehsan Abedian said:
For each leg of the trip you have the distance (D) and the rate (40 km/hr for the first leg and 60 km/hr for the second leg). That's enough information to get an expression for the time of each leg.
Ehsan Abedian said:
Can you show me the solution?
No, that's not how it works here. The rules of this forum don't allow us to work a problem for you. See https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/ (under Homework Guidelines).

Likes Ehsan Abedian

What is the definition of average speed for round trip?

Average speed for round trip is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken for a round trip.

How is average speed for round trip calculated?

The formula to calculate average speed for round trip is: Average Speed = Total Distance / Total Time Taken.

Why is average speed for round trip important?

Average speed for round trip is important because it gives an overall measure of how fast an object is moving during a round trip. This can be useful in determining the efficiency or effectiveness of a journey or measuring the performance of a vehicle.

Can average speed for round trip be greater than the average of the individual speeds?

Yes, it is possible for the average speed for round trip to be greater than the average of the individual speeds. This can occur if the distance traveled during the outbound and return trip are not equal.

How can average speed for round trip be affected by factors such as traffic or weather?

Average speed for round trip can be affected by factors such as traffic or weather as they can impact the total time taken for a round trip. For example, if there is heavy traffic or adverse weather conditions, the total time taken for the round trip will increase, resulting in a lower average speed.