Radial acceleration around a planet

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the radial acceleration of a point on the surface of a planet with a given radius and rotation period. The equations used are T = [2(pi)r]/v and a_r = -[(v^2)/r]. The solution involves converting the given time to seconds and using it to find the velocity, which is then used in the radial acceleration equation. The final answer is 0.0345 m/s^2.
anteaters

Homework Statement

Consider a planet of radius 7.31 x 10^6 m with a rotation period of 25.4 hours. Compute the radial acceleration of a point on the surface of the planet at the equator owing to its rotation about its axis.

Homework Equations

T = [2(pi)r]/v
a_r = -[(v^2)/r]

The Attempt at a Solution

so i know one period (T) is 25.4 hours, and r = 7.31 x 10^6 m. so i use that and find velocity, and tried to plug that into the radial acceleration equation, but i got the wrong answer. what am i doing wrong? is it something to do with units of time?

Physics news on Phys.org
oh, and my answer was 2.88 x 10^8 m/s2

anteaters said:
what am i doing wrong? is it something to do with units of time?
Did you convert the hours to seconds? If not, you are spot-on regarding time.

anteaters said:
oh, and my answer was 2.88 x 10^8 m/s2
That means you did something else wrong in addition to the time units error. Please show your work.

25.4 hours = 91440 seconds = 2(pi)(7.31 x 10^6)/v
so v = 502.3 m/s
a_r = [(502.3 m/s)^2]/(7.31 x 10^6) = 0.0345 m/s^2

would that be the right answer? it seems kind of small.

Looks fine to me.

thanks a lot D H.

1. What is radial acceleration around a planet?

Radial acceleration around a planet refers to the acceleration experienced by an object as it orbits around a planet. This acceleration is directed towards the center of the planet and is caused by the planet's gravitational pull.

2. How is radial acceleration calculated?

The equation for calculating radial acceleration is a = v^2/r, where a is the acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the orbit. This equation is a simplified version of Newton's second law of motion (F = ma) specifically for circular motion around a central point.

3. What factors affect radial acceleration around a planet?

The main factor that affects radial acceleration is the mass of the planet. The greater the mass of the planet, the stronger the gravitational pull and thus the greater the radial acceleration. The distance between the planet and the object, as well as the object's velocity, also play a role in determining the magnitude of radial acceleration.

4. How does radial acceleration impact orbits?

Radial acceleration plays a crucial role in determining the shape and stability of an orbit. If the radial acceleration is too high, the object may experience a crash landing on the planet. If it is too low, the object may escape the planet's gravitational pull and fly off into space. A balanced radial acceleration is necessary for a stable orbit.

5. Can radial acceleration be used for space travel?

Yes, radial acceleration can be utilized for space travel. Spacecrafts and satellites use the concept of radial acceleration to achieve and maintain orbits around planets. Scientists also use the concept to determine the trajectory and speed needed for a successful mission to other planets in our solar system.