Radioactive Decay chain and Masses of Products

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
lapo3399
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Hello,

Based on a starting isotope, isotope mass, and duration of time, what calculations would be used to find the mass remaining of each individual nuclide in the decay chain after the time period? I think that the rate at which the final product is formed depends most on the nuclide with the highest half-life, as chemical systems in chemistry are reliant on the rate determining step. However, what I find difficult to visualise is how much of the other nuclides would be left. I presume that, depending on the time interval, all the low-half-life nuclides before the first long-half-life nuclide would pretty much be gone, with certain quantities of other nuclides after the long-life nuclide being present. Can someone please elaborate on the calculations necessary?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, I researched them and they are exactly what I need.
 
lapo3399 said:
Thanks, I researched them and they are exactly what I need.

great, good luck with your task! =)