Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radioactive Decay chain and Masses of Products

1. Jun 12, 2007 #1
    Hello,

Based on a starting isotope, isotope mass, and duration of time, what calculations would be used to find the mass remaining of each individual nuclide in the decay chain after the time period? I think that the rate at which the final product is formed depends most on the nuclide with the highest half-life, as chemical systems in chemistry are reliant on the rate determining step. However, what I find difficult to visualise is how much of the other nuclides would be left. I presume that, depending on the time interval, all the low-half-life nuclides before the first long-half-life nuclide would pretty much be gone, with certain quantities of other nuclides after the long-life nuclide being present. Can someone please elaborate on the calculations necessary?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2007 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

have you tried Bateman equations?

4. Jun 12, 2007 #3
    Thanks, I researched them and they are exactly what I need.

5. Jun 12, 2007 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

great, good luck with your task! =)

6. Jun 13, 2007 #5
    If anyone is experienced with C++ programming, could they please help here? I have another problem with this task:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=173810

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?